Tomato Basil Soup is a grown up version of the tomato soup we grew up eating as a child and it’s magnificent!
When I was a kid I absolutely loved tomato soup. It had to be made with milk instead of adding water to it and there had to be a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it. It was the cheese and tomato combination that I loved and still do. Tomato Basil Soup is the grown up version of the soup I loved as a kid.
Instead of having a grilled cheese sandwich to get my tomato – cheese fix this delicious soup is topped with grated Parmesan Cheese and croutons. As far as I’m concerned the grated Parmesan and croutons are just a deconstructed grilled cheese sandwich and it’s delicious on top of the soup! This is a rich flavorful soup made with canned tomatoes, tomato juice, fresh basil, heavy cream and butter. This delicious soup is going to tickle your tastebuds and your going to love it.
The recipe directions say to not let the soup come to a boil, why can’t I boil it?
Heating the soup to a boil after the cream is added to the pot may cause the cream to curdle. Curdling will also happen if your making a homemade soup with milk and heat it too quickly. Here are some tips on how to prevent milk or cream from curdling when making any homemade milk or cream based soup.
- Use full fat whole milk or heavy cream. Low fat or non fat varieties will separate more easily than full fat versions.
- Temper the cream or milk by adding a 1/2 cup of the soup to it to warm it before adding it into the pot of soup.
- You can also remove the pot of soup from the heat, add the cream or milk then reheat under low to medium heat.
If your looking at the ingredient list wondering whether you want to use 14 fresh basil leaves in the soup it’s ok. Use less if you want to, the recipe isn’t written in stone. Just remember that the whole tomatoes, tomato juice, cream and butter will tame the flavor of the basil. I think once you taste it you’ll be surprised at how well the ingredients compliment each other and make it one amazing soup. Homemade Tomato Basil Soup, it’s what’s for dinner and it’s delicious!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
White Chicken Chili…Tuscan White Bean Bacon Soup…The Best Potato Soup…Cheesy Broccoli Rice...Tortellini Meatball Soup
Tomato Basil Soup
- one 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 14 fresh basil leafs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan Cheese, grated to sprinkle on top
- Open the canned tomatoes and place them and the 2 cups of tomato juice in a large saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and place the tomato mixture into a blender or food processor and process until the mixture is smooth.Add the basil leaves to the blender or food processor and puree them into the tomato mixture. Place the basil- tomato mixture back into the large saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium to low heat and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Heat the mixture slowly while stirring to blend everything together as the butter melts. Do not let the soup come to a boil.Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan Cheese.