The Best Potato Soup
The Best Potato Soup…a thick , creamy, hearty soup that’s absolutely delicious! I made this soup the day I made the Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls. It was the perfect Fall dinner!
I love dinners like this. They make you feel all comfy and ready for the cool of Fall to come. This is a very satisfying dinner loaded with potatoes, bacon and kale.
The soup base is made with chicken broth which is thickened with a roux made of flour, butter and cream. If you don’t have cream you could substitute half and half.
As with any soup I make, I wait till all the ingredients are in the pot and simmering then I tweak it to our liking. Everybody’s taste are different, it’s just part of making a recipe yours.
Serve this delicious soup with homemade bread or rolls and sit back and enjoy Fall.
The Best Potato Soup
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 lb bacon chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth or enough to cover potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 Teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup kale can use frozen thawed Kale as well, stems remove and chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a dutch oven until done. Remove the bacon, drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease. Cook celery, carrot and onion in the 1/4 cup bacon grease until soft. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 1 minute more. Add cubed potatoes, toss to coat. Saute the potatoes 3 or 4 minutes. Place the fried bacon back in the pan. Add enough chicken broth to the pan to cover the potatoes, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a heavy duty sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisk in the flour, cook and whisk the mixture for 2 minutes to remove the flour taste. While still whisking add the cream in a slow stream to the flour mixture. Cook and whisk until mixture thickens, add the Tarragon and Kale to the pot. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.