Cheesy Broccoli Rice
Even though we try very hard to eat healthy around here there are some things I used to buy prepackaged that I would get extreme cravings for. My biggest weakness has always been boxed rice mixes. Before this cheesy broccoli rice recipe, it was so easy to cave in and stock up on boxed rice mixes.
You know the one I’m talking about. You saute the rice, add the water and flavor packet, let it simmer and then you eat an entire pan full by yourself. We have all been there. Well, it was rice… but it had ingredients and additives in it that I could not even begin to pronounce if I tried.
Trying to avoid that, I started seeking other options. I wanted the same feeling of happiness I get from those boxed rice mixes, but without the guilt of eating unhealthy and the guilt of putting unknown ingredients in my body. Enter Cheesy Broccoli Rice.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice satisfies my boxed rice cravings perfectly. It is homemade and absolutely delicious, plus I know every ingredient it is made with! Long grain rice, real cheese and spices with a veggie thrown in for good measure. The cheesy broccoli is perfect for the veggie lover or the not-so-veggie-lover.
It is also a very versatile recipe. In the past, I have made it with cheddar cheese, and I loved the result of the cheesy broccoli. Then, I made it with Monterey Jack, and still loved the cheesy broccoli and how it tasted with the rice.
You can switch out cheesy broccoli and replace it with any veggie your family loves and make it cheesy. Or, you can even make it without a vegetable. That is how versatile this recipe actually is: you can design it for how your family would like it best.
Another great thing about cheesy broccoli rice: you barely need anything to make it. Don’t worry about pulling out all of those pots and pans, and don’t worry about trying to find random small kitchen tools to help you out. Instead, grab your favorite medium-sized saucepan and you are ready to go!
Cheesy Broccoli Rice is a homemade side dish your whole family will eat and love. Enjoy!
Cheesy Broccoli Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli or veggie of your choice, steamed and chopped roughly
- 1 1/3 cups grated cheese use the cheese your family loves...Cheddar, Monterey Jack etc...
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- milk as needed to thin before serving if nessecary
- Place the oil in a medium size sauce pan over medium to low heat.
- Add the rice to the pan, cook and stir, until the rice starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, heat till it starts to boil. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until most of the chicken broth is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, chopped broccoli, cheese, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste ,add milk if desired to get the consistency you want.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.