The flavor of the fresh peaches is up front and delicious, the pie isn’t overly sweet which allows the peach flavor and natural sweetness to come shining through.
The Perfect Peach Pie
Last week when Paul and I were going to Pennsylvania for my son’s wedding, Michael was also making a trip to Pa. to Peter’s Orchards, his family’s orchard in Gardner’s Pa.
He loaded his vehicle with fresh peaches,apples,plums, nectarines and apple butter for his return trip and shared them with his close neighbors. Check out Peter’s Orchard’s Face Book page for gorgeous photos of the fruit they sell! Thank you Peggy and Michael, your generosity is much appreciated!
All those gorgeous fresh peaches were the inspiration I needed to make my first Peach Pie. It was absolute PERFECTION! The flavor of the fresh peaches is up front and delicious, the pie isn’t overly sweet which allows the peach flavor and natural sweetness to come shining through.
Tips for making The Perfect Peach Pie:
- I made a double batch of all butter homemade pie crusts (yields 2 crusts). You can also use 2 pre packaged pie crust from the refrigerated section of your store.
- Make sure you’re using fresh ripe peeled peaches (no skin on the peaches)
- Cut the peeled peaches in half, remove the pit. Cut the halfs into wedges that are about a 1/2 inch thick.
- VERY IMPORTANT – drain the peaches in a colander, this helps your pie to not be soupy when cut.
- Before baking I sprinkled the top crust with raw sugar, you could use regular sugar mixed with a little cinnamon, peaches love cinnamon.
- If your top crust is getting to brown and the pie still has baking time left, place foil on the top and continue baking.
- After the pie has cooled completely, refrigerate it for a couple hours before cutting.My husband Paul said this pie was so good it deserved a name…”I’m going to call it , The Best Pie Ever Made.” Trust me you’re going to love it! It is in deed The Perfect Peach Pie. Enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Homemade Chocolate Frosting...Pork Chops in Sour Cream Sauce…Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting…Apple Pan Dowdy…Green Beans Asian Style
The Perfect Peach Pie
- Pie crust recipe yielding two crusts for a 9 inch pie or
- 1 package pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie 15 ounce
- 5 cups sliced peaches ( slice the peaches about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cold butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- 2. In a large bowl combine the sliced peaches and lemon juice, gently toss together. Place the sliced peaches in a colander to drain. Don't skip this step, this eliminates some of the juice so your pie won't be soupy after it's cut. When I drained my peaches I collected almost a 1/4 cup of juice. Drain peaches about 10 - 15 minutes. Place drained peaches in a large bowl.
- 3. Place one homemade or pre-made pie crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan. Brush the pie crust (bottom and sides) with a little of the beaten egg. This keeps the crust from getting soggy. Keep the rest of the beaten egg to brush on the top crust.
- 4. In a medium size bowl combine the flour,cornstarch,sugars,cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Pour the flour mixture over the drained peaches and gently fold them together.
- 5. Pour peaches into the bottom pie crust and dot with butter. Place the top crust over the peaches and flute edges. Brush with the rest of the beaten egg and cut 4 slits in the top crust to vent steam. You can sprinkle sugar on top of the crust for decoration if you like. Place pie on a baking sheet, I always do this so there's no chance of spills in the oven.
6. Bake the pie at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake an additional 30-35 minutes until crust is brown and juices bubble up through the slits. If your pie edges brown to quickly, cover the edges with strips of aluminum foil and continue baking. After the pie has cooled completely, refrigerate it for a couple hours before cutting.