Whether you have your own vegetable garden or enjoy browsing your favorite farmers market for produce you will love 22 Delicious Ways To Enjoy Summer Fruits and Vegetables!
Enjoying our home grown fruits and vegetables straight from the vine while they’re in season is fantastic during the growing season. Many people enjoy they’re produce long after the garden is done by preserving them for the winter.
There are four ways to preserve food for the Winter, all of which have been around for centuries. Here are the methods and a little history about each one. All the information below was found on Wikipedia.
- Canning – During the Napoleonic Wars the French Government offered a large amount of money to anyone who could create a cheap and effective way to preserve large amounts of food for they’re armies. Nicolas Appert developed a way to seal food in glass jars and received the cash award.
- Food Drying – The earliest known practice of drying food goes back to 12,000 BC . This method of food preserving was practiced by Middle Eastern and Asian countries.
- Pickling – The origins of pickling aren’t know for sure but historians think the process was used around 2400 BC. by ancient Mesopotamians. Pickling was used to preserve out of season foods for long sea journeys.
Freezing – Freezing food using Winters natural frost has been used by tribes in cold climates for centuries. If you would like information on how to freeze, can or dry your garden’s bounty check out this link from Agriculture, Food and Environment from UK. For more information about pickling food check this link out…How to Pickle Anything. Enjoy Summer’s bounty and these 22 Delicious Ways To Enjoy Summer’s Fruits and Vegetables
Now let’s get to those delicious recipes!!!
Charred Zucchini Sweet Corn Mexican Salad – Whole and Heavenly Oven
Sriracha Sweet Chili Roasted Brussels Sprouts – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
15 Minute Asparagus Mushroom and Bacon – Oven Struck
Harvest Wild Rice Pilaf – My Modern Cookery
Plum Caprese Salad – What Should I Make For…
Garlic Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon – Spend with Pennies
Browned Butter Parmesan Roasted Potatoes – Cafe Delites
Brown Sugar Green Beans and Bacon – Creme De La Crumb
French Onion Mashed Potatoes – Yellow Bliss Road
Fresh Creamed Spinach – Bunny’s Warm Oven
Stuffed Vidalia Onions – Mother Thyme
Mixed Citrus Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette – Striped Spatula
Roman – Style Fried Artichokes with Herb Mayonnaise – Eat Little Bird
Savory Watermelon Salad – The Brooklyn Cook
Skinny Cabbage Salad – Cooktoria
Israeli Couscous Salad – The McCallum’s Shamrock Patch
Honey Lime Fruit Salad Dressing – Bunny’s Warm Oven
The Best Beet Salad – The Stay At Home Chef
Grilled Asparagus with Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette – Cooking LSL
Summer Fruit Salad with Serrano Mint Syrup – The Chunky Chef
Mushroom Salad with Lentils and Caramelized Onions – Victoria’s Table
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables with Goat Cheese – Neighborhood Food
PIN IT FOR LATER
Latest posts by Mary Bostow (see all)
- 30 Peach Recipes You Have to Add To Your Recipe Book! - 08/16/2019
- Banana Crumble - 08/15/2019
- Ham and Scalloped Potato Casserole - 08/14/2019