Apple Nut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
A tender, moist apple coffee cake with three delicious layers.
This is one terrific coffee cake kids! This is a nice thick cake that’s very moist, full of flavors and apples. The apples have a nice bright flavor because of the lemon juice. There are pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon yumminess inside the cake as well as on top of the cake. It’s not an overly sweet cake, everything works very well together to make one fantastic treat. Let’s get started making this bad boy.
Grease the bottom of a springform pan. Put a piece of parchment paper on the bottom plate big enough to extend over the plate. You can use the ends of the paper as handles to remove the cake from the pan after it’s baked.. Put the rim on the pan and grease the parchment paper, then flour the pan.
There are 3 parts to this cake. The topping, the filling and the batter. To make the topping – Toast 1 cup of either pecans or walnuts. To toast the nuts place them into a skillet under medium heat. Swirl the nuts around in the pan until you smell the aroma of the nuts. Remove them from the skillet and let them cool. Measure out the cinnamon, light brown sugar and toasted pecans, mix them all together. Set this mixture aside.
We’re going to work on the filling now. Combine the flour and the butter for the filling . Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs.
Measure out 3/4 cup of the filling we made and mix it with the coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Combine 2 cups of chopped apples with 2 Teaspoons of lemon juice, toss with a spoon to coat the apples. Set them aside and let them get happy together till we need them.
It’s time to make the batter. Combine your dry ingredients in a large bowl ( flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) and whisk them together.
Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. When it’s nice and fluffy, add the first egg. Beat well and scrape down the sides of bowl. Add the other egg and the vanilla and beat well. On low speed, add half of the flour mixture, mix just until the flour is almost completely blended in.
Spread 2/3 cup of the batter into the bottom of the springform pan. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the batter, layer the apples on top of the filling. Gently spread the remaining batter over the apples.
Sprinkle the top of the batter with the remaining topping.
Bake the cake at 350 degrees for approximately 60 minutes. All ovens vary, mine is a gas oven. I checked mine at 50 minutes and it was done. Next time I make this, I’ll start checking it after it’s been in the oven for 40 minutes. Cool the cake for 20 minutes on a wire rack, unlock the pan rim , remove it and let it cool the rest of the way.
This moist delicious cake can also be made using pears instead of apples. Just remember that when your baking with either apples or pears to use a variety that’s suited for baking. Using an apple or pear variety suited for eating will result in the fruit not holding it’s shape during baking and being mushy. We don’t want mushy.
Apple Nut Sour Cream Coffee Cake – a tender, moist, easy apple coffee cake with three delicious layers, this one’s a keeper Kids, ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Delicious Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Pork Chops in Sour Cream Gravy…Chocolate Bavarian Pie...Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins…Apple Pan Dowdy...Chicken Olivia Recipe
Apple Nut Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1 cup toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled
- 2 cups peeled, cored and coarsely chopped apples, use a baking apple
- 2 Teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9 inch springform pan. To make the baked cake easier to remove from the pan lightly grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and lightly grease the parchment paper. Dust the pan with flour.
- For the Nut Topping:Place the nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, stir to combine and set aside.
For the Filling:
- Combine 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup butter into a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add 3/4 cup of the nut topping mix and stir to combine. Toss the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together to combine. Set the bowl aside.Place the butter and sugar into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer , beat the two together until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs to a bowl one at a time and beat until well incorporated. Add half the flour mixture to the bowl, beating until it's just incorporated. Add all of the sour cream to the bowl and mix until just incorporated. Add the remaining flour to the bowl and mix until just incorporated.Spread 2/3 of the cake batter into the prepared 9 inch springform pan. Sprinkle the filling mixture over the batter.Layer the apples over the filling. Gently spread the remaining batter over the apples. Sprinkle with the topping mixture.Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, loosen the side of the pan then remove the cake from the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack.