I have a tendency to bake with fruit in season, I also try to keep recipes simple, like these Caramel Pecan Bars and not use a lot of store bought ingredients. Simple ingredients, things you already have on hand, little extras thrown into the batter, let’s you taste flavors and textures. There are three delicious flavors and two textures in this bar that make it outstanding. You have the wonderful flavors of cinnamon, caramel and pecans that is over the top delicious. The caramel and pecans do double duty by bringing you a creamy crunchy texture . When you bite into this bar you can’t help but marvel at the flavors and texture . It’s genius, you can’t eat just one, it’s like..wait let me taste that again…and well… maybe just one MORE bite. Now, if you really want to get crazy, a little bit of vanilla or butter pecan ice cream on top would be absolutely decadent and make for an excellent Thanksgiving dessert. Enjoy!
Caramel Pecan Bars
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 package caramels 11 ounces, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. 13x9 inch baking pan lined with foil that is lightly greased
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Mix brown sugar,
- butter, eggs, vanilla and pecans in large bowl until well blended. Add flour mixture; mix well. Reserve 1 cup of the batter. Spread remaining batter into lightly greased foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake 15 minutes or until firm.
- 2 Place the milk and unwrapped caramels in a medium sauce pan over low heat. Stir until caramels have melted. Cool 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour over baked layer in pan,spreading to within 1/2 inch of edges. Drop reserved 1 cup batter by spoonfuls over caramel layer. Cut through batter with knife several times for marbled effect.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until center is set. Cool in pan on wire rack. Lift from pan. Cut into bars.