English Lemon Shortbread Strips are incredibly tender, buttery and moreish. The lemon in the shortbread and glaze is absolutely perfect.
English Lemon Shortbread Strips
It’s just amazing to me how flour, sugar, butter , and in this case lemon too, come together so quickly and easily to make the best cookies ever.
We start the recipe by placing two cups of softened butter in a large bowl. I know it sounds like a lot , but they’re shortbread cookies and shortbread cookies are made with lots and lots of “butta”. That’s what makes them so tender and delicious. This recipe is made in a jelly roll pan and it makes a lot of cookies, perfect for gift giving or holiday baking. If you don’t need that many cookies, make 1/2 the recipe and use a 9×9 inch baking pan, the baking time will be the same. Don’t forget to half the glaze recipe as well.
Add 1 cup of white sugar to the butter in the bowl.
One of the reasons these shortbread cookies are so decadent and lemony delicious is because there is lemon in the cookie dough as well as in the glaze that tops them. Add 1/4 cup of lemon juice plus 4 Teaspoons of freshly grated lemon zest to the bowl with the butter and sugar.
Beat the ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium speed, scraping the bowl often until everything is nice and creamy.
Add the flour to the bowl and beat the mixture on low speed until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Press the dough into a lightly greased jelly roll pan evenly. Bake 30 – 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.
The lemon glaze that tops the shortbread cookies comes together very quickly. Place one cup of powdered sugar, two Tablespoons of softened butter and two Tablespoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Whisk it all together until it’s smooth.
Pour the lemon glaze over top of the shortbread and spread it with a spatula to cover every inch. Ok so I have to confess that I didn’t wait till the cookies were cooled to put the glaze on them. I have made many cakes that called for putting the cake glaze on the baked cake while it was still warm so it seeps into the top of the cake. That’s what I did with the cookies. I put the glaze on while they were still warm. Either way you put the glaze on , they will be incredible.
After you have glazed your English Shortbread Strip cookies, garnish them with one Tablespoon of lemon zest , then let them sit for 30 minutes to set, then cut them into strips. English Lemon Shortbread Strips are tender ,butter laden morsels that will have you begging for more.
PIN IT FOR LATER
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPE FROM BUNNY’S WARM OVEN, TRY THESE.
English Lemon Shortbread Strips
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon zest for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all shortbread ingredients minus the flour in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour; beat at low speed until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press dough evenly into lightly greased jelly-roll pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth.
- Spread thin layer of glaze over cooled shortbread; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon lemon zest, if desired. Let stand 30 minutes to set. Cut into strips.
Looking for more shortbread cookies, try these from other bloggers.