Old Fashioned Buttermilk Lemon Pie
One of the things I love about baking is that you never get bored with it. There’s always something I haven’t made before waiting on my bucket list. Such is the case with buttermilk pie.
I always wondered what it would taste like, buttermilk in a pie? Today was the day I found out how delicious it is. It’s creamy, I loved that. The lemon flavor was perfect, it was like what a lemon sherbet ice cream would taste like. Not in your face lemon flavor, but very nice and enjoyable.
It was really quite lovely and easy to make. I’m smitten with buttermilk pie , which means your going to see different flavors as I make them. Old Fashioned Buttermilk Lemon Pie, off the bucket list and on the keeper list. Enjoy!
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Make your homemade pie crust and place in a 9 inch pie plate. If using premade frozen, unthaw. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat eggs and sugar until light yellow in color, the mixture will be slightly thick. Beat the flour in first, then the buttermilk, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into you unbaked pie crust. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325° and continue baking until the center is set and barely jiggles, about 20 to 25 minutes longer. Cool on rack.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.