The Best Potato Soup
The Best Potato Soup…a thick , creamy, hearty soup that’s absolutely delicious! I made this soup the day I made the Sweet Potato Dinner Rolls. It was the perfect Fall dinner!
I love dinners like this. They make you feel all comfy and ready for the cool of Fall to come. This is a very satisfying dinner loaded with potatoes, bacon and kale.
The soup base is made with chicken broth which is thickened with a roux made of flour, butter and cream. If you don’t have cream you could substitute half and half.
As with any soup I make, I wait till all the ingredients are in the pot and simmering then I tweak it to my liking. Everybody’s taste are different, it’s just part of making a recipe yours.
Serve this delicious soup with homemade bread or rolls and sit back and enjoy Fall.
PIN IT FOR LATER
The Best Potato Soup
- 1 large onion diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 lb bacon chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth or enough to cover potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 Teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/3 cup kale can use frozen thawed Kale as well, stems remove and chopped fine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a dutch oven until done. Remove the bacon, drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease. Cook celery, carrot and onion in the 1/4 cup bacon grease until soft. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 1 minute more. Add cubed potatoes, toss to coat. Saute the potatoes 3 or 4 minutes. Place the fried bacon back in the pan. Add enough chicken broth to the pan to cover the potatoes, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a heavy duty sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisk in the flour, cook and whisk the mixture for 2 minutes to remove the flour taste. While still whisking add the cream in a slow stream to the flour mixture. Cook and whisk until mixture thickens, add the Tarragon and Kale to the pot. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
Best potato soup we have ever had!
I’m so glad that you enjoyed the potato soup!
Great recipe! I’m big on seasoning, especially in soups because I have only been cooking for a couple of years and soups I make tend to turn out a bit bland and I have to keep adding something to it, but this was perfect! I didn’t have tarragon, so I used thyme which I almost always use in potato dishes so it was perfect. I didn’t have any kale and ate spinach for lunch so I just omitted the greens and it is divine. One spoonful trying it out after I finished to see if I needed to add anything, and I had to leave a comment because I was blown away! Will definitely make this in the future. Maybe I’ll even can some.
Omg, this soup was SO good! We couldn’t stop eating it! I only made a half batch and cut down on the bacon and used spinach instead of kale.It went too fast! Next time, this week, I’m making a full batch! I sent the recipe to my daughter and they loved it! She’s making it again this week! This is a winner in our book! Ty!
My husband had some dental surgery today so had requested potato soup. Found this recipe and decided to give it a try. So glad I picked this one! It was delicious. My husband had three bowls. I had russet potatoes on hand so used those, and they worked perfectly. I used half and half instead of the heavy cream and spinach in place of the kale. Otherwise followed the recipe as written. Will definitely be making this again and again. Does require a bit of prep to get everything chopped and peeled but so worth it.
Well, I made my first batch ‼️🥰🥰👍🏼 Had to tweak just a tad, but yums ‼️🥰👍🏼
We loved this soup! Due to what I had on hand and what I had time to work with, I used bacon grease from my “stash” to begin with. I did not add carrots and probably won’t next time. I used Mayers real bacon bits to sub for bacon! They were great! I mashed the taters with a hand masher and then added to roux with half and half! Just a little different but still, loved this recipe! Thank you, Bunny!