Smashed Parmesan Potatoes are very easy to make with few ingredients and yield fantastic results.
In my house potatoes are served as a side dish like…90 percent of the time. I do make side dishes using pasta and rice, but given a choice , I will pick a potato to accompany my entree EVERY – SINGLE -TIME. I’m definitely a creature of habit. Smashed Parmesan Potatoes definitely satisfied my potato craving and made me absolutely giddy. This potato side dish is delicious and so easy to make.
Before we get to the smashed Parmesan potatoes recipe, let’s look at some potato variety information that will help you pick the right potato for the dish you’re going to make.
Potato Varieties and How To Use Them
- Waxy Potatoes like Fingerling and New Potatoes hold their shape when cooked which makes them perfect to use for potato salad.
- Starchy Potatoes such as a Russet or Idaho potatoes are perfect for making baked potatoes, mashed potatoes and french fries.
- All Purpose Potatoes are wonderful potatoes to use when making a roast, stews, potato gratins and scalloped potatoes.
After I’ve Cooked My Potatoes How Long Will They Last Stored In The Refrigerator Or Freezer?
According to LeafTV Cooked potatoes such as baked potatoes store well in the refrigerator for 3 -5 days. Mashed potatoes will keep well in your refrigerator for 4 -6 days. Cooked potatoes can be stored in the freezer for up to six months.
Now that we’ve become familiar with potato varieties and how long our cooked spuds will keep in the refrigerator, let’s gather the ingredients for our delicious recipe and make it together.
Smashed Parmesan Potato Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 pounds small potatoes (about 12)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
Place the small potatoes in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with enough water to cover the potatoes. Place the pan on the stove over high heat. Bring the water in the pan up to a boil, once the water has boiled, reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the pan from the stove and drain the water from the pan and let the potatoes cool slightly.
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Coat two cookie sheets with vegetable oil or spray them with non stick cooking spray. Place the cooked potatoes on the baking sheets, six potatoes to a sheet. Smash each potato with the back of a large spoon. Gently press down on each potato until it’s smashed and about 1/2 inch thick ,but not in pieces. You want the potato to still be in one piece after you smash it.
Combine the melted butter, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix the ingredients together with a spoon until they are well combined. Brush the butter mixture over each potato with a pastry brush. After each potato is coated with the butter mixture, sprinkle the potatoes with grated Parmesan Cheese. Place the cookie sheets in your preheated 450 degree oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy. Serve immediately. Place any uneaten potatoes in a covered container and store them in the refrigerator.
These delicious smashed potatoes are What’s For Dinner”?! and they’re delicious!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, TRY THESE!
Parmesan Smashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds small potatoes about 12
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Parmesan freshly grated
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with enough water to cover the potatoes. Place the pan on the stove over medium heat. Bring the potatoes to a boil, once the potatoes start boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for 20 minutes or until they are JUST tender. Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray or lightly coat them with vegetable oil. To coat with oil just pour a little vegetable oil on a wadded up paper towel and wipe the cookie sheets with it to grease the pans.
- Place the potatoes on the greased cookie sheets. Using the back of a large spoon press down gently on the potatoes to smash them. They should be about a half inch thick after you smash them and all in one piece.
- Place the butter, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix the ingredients with a spoon to combine them, making sure the ingredients are well incorporated. Brush the mixture over the smashed potatoes, sprinkle each potato with grated Parmesan Cheese. Bake the potatoes for 15 -20 minutes or until the potatoes are crispy and golden.