We can’t let apple season go by without a good Old Fashioned Apple Crisp. This recipe is easy and delicious.
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
Easy and delicious, what more could you ask for in a dessert? Old Fashioned Apple Crisp is made with basic pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- brown sugar
- old fashioned oats
That’s nice isn’t it? I mean seriously, not having to run to the store to buy something special is just the icing on the cake for me when I’m in the mood to bake and everything is already there. The one thing we should talk a little about is the apples you use to bake this delicious apple crisp with.
Please remember when your baking with apples to use apples intended for baking. There’s a difference between apples you buy to eat and apples you use to bake with. When baking apples are baked they hold their shape and don’t break down in the oven. They are both sweet and tart which adds lots of flavor to your apple desserts.
The following apples, are perfect to bake with:
- Honey Crisp
- Granny Smith
- Gala Apples
Apple Crisps are very easy to adapt to your liking. Add nutmeg along with the cinnamon for a little extra flavor. You can also add crushed nuts to the topping for more crunch. This recipe is made in an 8 inch baking pan. You can also double the recipe and bake it in a buttered 9×13 inch baking pan to feed a crowd.
To start this recipe preheat your oven to 375 degrees and place your peeled cored and sliced baking apples into a buttered 8 inch square baking pan.
To make the oat topping place the brown sugar, old fashioned oats, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs. Most of the time when I’m making a crumb topping I start out blending the ingredients together with a pastry blender and finish it off by getting my fingers in the bowl and rubbing the mixture between my fingers.
Cover the surface of the apples with the crumb topping. Place the baking pan in your preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until the apples are tender. At the end of the baking time, test to see if the apples are tender by sticking a fork down into the crisp. You will feel a slight resistance if the apples are not tender. Place the apple crisp back into the oven and bake another 10 – 15 minutes longer or until it tests done.
Serve Old Fashioned Apple Crisp warm with a scoop of ice cream or a little cream. This easy delicious treat will put smiles on the faces of anybody you serve it to, ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Delicious Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- 6 cups apples ,peeled, cored and sliced (use a baking apple)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into cubes
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter an 8 inch square baking pan.Place the peeled, cored and sliced apples into your prepared pan. In a medium size bowl combine the brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon.Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs. (Sometimes I find rubbing the mixture between your fingers works just as well as a pastry blender.) Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Bake 25 - 35 minutes or until apples are tender. Test by sticking a fork down into the crisp, you will feel a slight resistance if the apples aren't tender. Bake an additional 10 - 15 minutes until apples are tender. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream