I love cakes like this. Apple Walnut Cake is a cake you would have found being made in your great grandmother’s kitchen. Those kind of cakes to me, are the best cakes.
Apple Walnut Cake
A cake you can make with the basic staples in your kitchen pantry. No special little chocolate covered do dads required, just basic pantry staples like flour, sugar and butter with fruit and nuts added. That’s important to me, it’s important because bringing you delicious homemade recipes you can afford to make for your family makes my heart happy.
Apple Walnut Cake is a soft, moist cake made in a 9 inch round or square cake pan. The apples are grated and make their way into every nook and cranny of this flavourful cake. Serve it warm with ice cream or whipped cream for a decadent treat. I loved the cake so much I had 2 slices, one after the other!
We start the recipe by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Next, grease and lightly flour a 9 inch round or square pan. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, beat them together with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Put your electric mixer aside, we will be stirring the rest of the ingredients into the batter from here on out.
Place the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl, stir the ingredients together to combine them. Your going to add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three batches. Remember we’re not using the electric mixture , we’re stirring the flour into the butter mixture. Make sure with each addition of flour that you stir until it’s incorporated into the batter before you add the next one.
After all the flour has been incorporated into the butter mixture, stir in the grated apples and chopped walnuts.
Spoon the batter into your prepared 9 inch pan, Bake 40 – 45 minutes until the cake is golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven to a cooling rack. Let the cake sit on the cooling rack for 10 minutes, remove it from the cooling rack and let it sit 10 more minutes before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
I can’t help but think of my Dad when I make cakes like this. He didn’t like frosted cakes. Dad would have put a slice of this cake in a bowl and eaten it with either ice cream or a little milk on top. Walnut Apple Cake, easy to make with a flavour that will remind you of Grandma, ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Delicious Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, TRY THESE!
Dutch Apple Pie...Homemade Apple Dumplings…Snickerdoodle Cream Cheese Apple Pie…Sour Cream Apple Pie…Apple Snack Cake
Apple Walnut Cake
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples I used Gala Apples, peeled,cored and grated
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Grease and lightly flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. STIR the flour mixture into the butter/ sugar mixture until it is incorporated. I added the flour in 3 batches, making sure each batch of flour was incorporated before adding the next batch. Stir in the grated apples and chopped walnuts, stir until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan evenly. Bake 40 - 45 minutes until golden brown or tooth pick test comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire cooling rack. Remove from cooling rack and let sit for 10 more minutes. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Looking For More Apple Cake Recipes, Try These From Other Bloggers. Cinnamon Sugar Apple Cake … German Apple Cake
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
I bet this tastes amazing!
Thanks Shannon, it does taste amazing!
Looks and sounds delicious. Thank you
Thank you Liz!
Great recipe…can you pls specify the cup measurement of grated apple….?
Good Morning Sunitha! Here’s an article from Taste of Home that covers your question about cup measurements and apples Honey.https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-many-apples-in-a-cup/
Good morning Sunitha! I looked up an article for you about apple measurements I hope this helps you.https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-many-apples-in-a-cup/