Mustard Steak Marinade – The ingredients are simple and the outcome is fantastic! The marinade worked beautifully to tenderize the steak while giving it a wonderful flavor to boot.
Mustard Steak Marinade
We had a day today where the temperature went up into the 50’s. Ok, yeah it rained and we’re expecting a ton of snow this week again but this one day was a reminder that more nice days are to come.
This one nice day got me thinking about grilling. I had a sirloin steak in the refrigerator and wanted to do something different with it, while at the same time using what I had on hand to do it.
Mustard Steak Marinade was perfect! The ingredients were simple and the outcome was fantastic! The marinade worked beautifully to tenderize the steak while giving it a wonderful flavor to boot.
We start the recipe by making the marinade first and refrigerating it until we’re ready to use it. Place the marinade ingredients into a medium bowl.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove (you can also just mince it)
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 Teaspoon each salt and pepper Mix together until well combined, place in the refrigerator until your ready to use it.
Place your steak on a clean surface. Using a fork poke holes all over the steak on both sides.
Place the steak in a shallow glass baking dish (I used a glass pie plate) along with the soy sauce, refrigerate the steak and soy sauce for 15 minutes. Remove the steak from the soy sauce onto a plate, discard the soy sauce.
Remove the mustard steak marinade from the refrigerator and rub the steak with the marinade on both sides.. Plate the steak and put it into the refrigerator for 45 minutes before grilling.
You could also marinade chicken and pork chops for the grill using the marinade. Because our steak was a sirloin, Paul sliced it on the bias into strips after it was grilled.
It was delicious and so very tender! Paul wants to to use the marinade on a pork butt in the smoker this summer. Good times are coming. Pretty soon the weather will allow us to grill every day, think about this marinade and get your grill on!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Mustard Steak Marinade
- 1 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1/4 cup soy sauce more for basting steak if desired
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- Place steaks on a clean surface, with a fork, poke holes in the steak. Place the steak in a shallow glass baking dish along with the soy sauce. In another small bowl combine mustard, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper, refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes. When 15 minutes is up take the steak out of the soy sauce, throw soy sauce away, rub the mixture over the steak. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes before grilling. You can baste the steak with soy sauce while grilling if you like. Grill to your liking.