Lemon Rice Salad is an easy delicious and refreshing change of pace from your average side dish recipe.
Lemon Rice Salad
This is a wonderful rice side salad with tons of flavor. The long grain rice is cooked in chicken broth with shallots giving the rice lots of flavor. The herbs, red onion, garlic and red pepper build more layers of flavor while the lemon juice and zest bring a burst of brightness to the salad. I grated Parmesan cheese over top and gently stirred it in right before serving. My reaction…”Who knew Rice Salad could be so good.”
Lemon Rice Salad can easily be converted from a side salad to a main dish by adding cooked chicken to it. I love lemon pepper rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I can’t wait to make Lemon Rice Salad and add the rotisserie chicken to it. Whether this hits your dinner table as a side salad or main dish you’re going to love it. Enjoy!
Lemon Rice Salad
- 1/4 cup shallots slice thin
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 cup cup long grain rice rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1/2 one small lemon
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute shallots in 2 Tablespoons olive oil until soft but not browned. Add uncooked rice to the pan, saute 2 -3 minutes stirring continuously. Add chicken broth to the pan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat , simmer covered about 15 minutes or until all stock is absorbed into the rice. Remove from the heat, let stand covered 5 minutes.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork. Remove the rice from the pan into a bowl to cool completely.
- Add the lemon zest, juice, herbs,garlic, onion, red pepper, Parmesan cheese and the one remaining Tablespoon of olive oil to the bowl.Gently stir to combine. Serve, refrigerate any leftovers covered.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Want to find the best kitchen products that I personally recommend? Click for more!
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
Thank you Donna!
How many servings does this make (as a side)?
I’d say 4 – 6 Jen.