Homemade Nut Free Granola Recipe is a delicious breakfast, snack or treat that’s easy to make and delicious.
Incorporating nuts into your breakfast and snacks has wonderful health benefits but have you ever thought about incorporating more seeds into you diet? I can sit and eat nuts by the handfuls which is why I buy them and keep them in the freezer. They’re always available for a snack.
What are the health benefits of incorporating seeds into your everyday diet?
It turns out that seeds are a great source of natural energy, they’re also a great source of high quality fats. I decided seeds would be a very beneficial addition to not only my very active husband’s diet, but for mine as well. Below are the health benefits of incorporating the seeds used in this recipe, into your diet.
- Pumpkin Seeds or Pepita Seeds contain iron, which helps maintain high energy levels
- Hemp Seed contains all 20 amino acids which is key to building calorie burning muscle
- Chia Seeds – 2 Tablespoons of this seed offer as much calcium as a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Sunflower Seeds – promote healthy digestion and increase fiber intake.
Now that we’ve looked at the benefits of incorporating more seeds into our diets, let make a granola that’s packed full of them. We start the recipe by placing 3 cups of old fashioned oats (not instant oats or quick oats) into a large bowl.
Along with the oats add the seeds and coconut flakes or shredded coconut if your using it, to the bowl. Stir to incorporate everything together. Set the bowl aside. Next, melt the coconut oil in a microwaveable bowl in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove over low heat. When the coconut oil has melted remove it from the heat and stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Now at this point, if you wanted to add a Teaspoon of grated orange zest to the pan to give the sauce a little more flavor, you go right ahead. Before I eat an orange, I grate it to get the zest and keep it in a baggie in the freezer to use in granola recipes, you wouldn’t believe the wonderful flavor it adds.
Pour the sauce ingredients over the oatmeal and seeds in the bowl. Stir it together to coat everything well.
Line a roasting pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. Spread the oatmeal mixture out into a single layer in the pan. Place the pan in a preheated 285 degree oven for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and stir the dried cranberries ( or the dried fruit of your choice) into the oats. Allow the granola to cool completely and store in airtight containers.
I used dried cranberries in my granola but you can use any dried fruit you want to. You can have a different flavored granola every time you make it just by switching out the dried fruit. Add a little variety to this recipe by using the following dried fruit to make the granola.
- Dried apricots
- Dried figs
- Dried apples
- Dried pineapple
- Dried mango
- Dried cherries
Homemade Nut Free Granola Recipe – a delicious way to incorporate and introduce seeds into your families diet, Enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins…The Best Potato Soup...Creamy Delicious Grape Salad…Honey Lime Fruit Salad Dressing...Apple Snacks
Homemade Nut Free Granola Recipe
- 3 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup Hemp seed
- 1/4 cup Chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cranberries or any dried fruit
- 1 Teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 285 degrees. Line a cookie sheet or roasting pan with parchment paper or foil. In a large bowl, combine seeds, oats and coconut flakes.Melt coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave or in a saucepan over low heat. After the coconut oil has melted, remove it from the heat and stir in the maple syrup. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg,(orange zest if using) and salt to the pan and stir to combine.Pour the syrup in the saucepan over the seeds, oats and coconut in the large bowl. Mix with a spatula to combine and coat the mixture well. Don't not add the dried fruit until after the granola has baked.Place the pan in the preheated 285 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.Remove the pan from the oven and add the dried fruit. stir to combine. Allow the granola to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.