Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese is a delicious adult version of a childhood classic. You’re going to love this grown up mac and cheese recipe!
Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese is an adult version of our childhood favorite . This delicious recipe is going to make you sit up and take notice! The only way I can describe this is “rich and delicious”. And why wouldn’t it be. This macaroni and cheese recipe is made with mozzarella cheese, blue cheese and half and half. It also has bacon and sweet red onion in it. We’re also using a potato gnocchi in the recipe instead of the usual elbow macaroni pasta. Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese is a unique macaroni and cheese recipe you’re going to love.
Can I make this recipe using dry elbow macaroni instead of the Gnocchi?
If for some reason you’d rather make this recipe using boxed dry elbow macaroni instead of the gnocchi you’ll have to cook the macaroni first, before adding it to the casserole. Cook 6 ounces of dry elbow macaroni according to the package directions. Drain the macaroni and then place it into the 1 1/2 quart casserole dish in place of the potato gnocchi and follow the directions for the rest of the recipe.
What kind of Gnocchi Did I use to make the recipe?
I used a pre-made gnocchi that I bought at the grocery store. Here’s a link to show you what it looks like. It was pre made and sold in the refrigerated section of the store we shop at. You can also buy it in the frozen food section. If you buy gnocchi frozen, thaw it out before using it in this recipe. You also don’t have to cook gnocchi you buy in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. It will cook just fine in the casserole straight from the package to the casserole dish. Dry packaged Gnocchi found in the pasta section of your grocery store along side of elbow macaroni or spaghetti will have to be cooked before adding it to the casserole.
Let’s gather the ingredients for Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese and make it together.
Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients:
- 4 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1 large red sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sixteen ounce package Potato Gnocchi (or any gnocchi you prefer)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 ounces crumbled Blue Cheese
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 1/8 Teaspoon pepper
We start our Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese recipe by frying 4 slices of bacon in a large skillet until cooked through and crisp. Drain the bacon on a paper towel and crumble the strips. Reserve the bacon grease in the frying pan, we’re going to use it to cook the red onion in the recipe. Cook the sliced red onion in the same pan (with the reserved bacon grease) that we used to cook the bacon. Cook and stir the sliced red onion until it’s tender and golden. Be careful now, onion can go from golden to burnt in a heart beat if you’re not watching it. Take your gorgeous golden onions out of the pan and set them side. Take the gnocchi out of it’s package and place it in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Add the crumbled bacon and sauteed onions.
Add one and a half cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, the blue cheese, half and half and pepper to the casserole dish as well. Toss the mixture gently to combine the ingredients.
After the ingredients are tossed to gently combine them, bake your Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese in a 350 degree oven, uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir the mixture gently and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese over the top of the ingredients in the casserole dish. Put your Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese back into the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the top of the casserole is brown and bubbly. Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving it.
I hope you enjoy Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese as much as I do, it’s “What’s For Dinner?! and it’s delicious!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Delicious Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, TRY THESE!
The Best Potato Soup...Ham and Scalloped Potato Casserole...Mexican Street Corn…Fresh Green Bean Side Dish Recipe...Chicken Olivia
Gnocchi Macaroni and Cheese
- casserole dish
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 large red sweet onion
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/8 Teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the bacon strips in a skillet under medium heat. Remove the bacon from the pan to paper towels to drain them. Crumble the bacon when it's cool enough to handle. Reserve the bacon grease in the skillet. Add the sliced red onion to the bacon grease in the pan and cook the onion until it's tender and golden brown. Remove the pan from the heat. Remove the onions from the pan to paper towels to drain them.Place the potato gnocchi in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Place the crumbled bacon, sauteed onions, 1 1/2 cups of Mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, half and half and black pepper in the casserole dish. Carefully toss all the ingredients together in the dish.Place the casserole dish in your preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes. After baking for 20 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and gently stir the ingredients in the casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese over the casserole, place it back in the oven and bake 10 more minutes or until the top of the casserole is brown and bubbly. Remove it from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.