French Onion Soup
Every spoonful of this traditional French Onion Soup was an absolute delight. Really kids, every spoonful. Therefore, my husband and I decided that this is the best we have ever eaten. The broth was amazing, and most important, at least to me, it’s seasoned perfectly.
First of all, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ordered French Onion Soup in a restaurant and couldn’t finish it because the salty taste it left in my mouth did me in. No thank you! Even when they claimed it was “traditional French Onion Soup”, the salt was overbearing! This recipe allows you to enjoy the broth, onions cheese and croutons in every delicious spoonful. So make sure to save this, pin it, whatever it takes to make sure this is the true traditional French Onion Soup recipe that you use!
The ingredients of the traditional French Onion Soup
The ingredients that make up French Onion Soup are plentiful any time of the year. Also, they are inexpensive, which makes it a very affordable soup to serve your family. Who can say no to that? The ingredients are so easy to come by that in Roman times they considered French Onion Soup food for poor people. However, if this is what poor people ate, honey count me in, because this soup is fit for a king!
Our French onion soup was topped with homemade croutons and grated Swiss Cheese. A small Italian baguette made simple and delicious croutons. Cut the baguette into slices, butter both sides and broil both sides. Place them on top of the soup (use an oven proof bowl), smother them in grated Swiss Cheese and broil till the cheese melts. HEAVEN in a bowl!! French Onion Soup, you won’t find a better recipe than this, ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
French Onion Soup
- 6 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Two 32 ounce containers Beef Broth - low sodium
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 Teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- Grated Swiss Cheese
- Croutons (homemade or store bought)
- Place the butter in a large pot under medium heat. When the butter has melted add the onions and fresh Thyme. Saute the mixture for 25 - 30 minutes until onions are tender. Remove the fresh Thyme from the pot and add the flour to the onions and stir it into the mixture. Add the garlic powder,beef broth, sugar,kosher salt and beef base to the pot. Stir to combine. Simmer the ingredients for 45 minutes. To Serve:Place the soup in an oven proof soup bowl, top with croutons and grated swiss cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Salt and pepper to taste.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Looking for more soups recipes, try these from other bloggers.
I AM ALWAYS LOOKING TO INTRODUCE PRODUCTS TO OTHERS, BUT I ONLY PROMOTE PRODUCTS THAT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. CHECK OUT MY RECOMMENDED PRODUCT: