Delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
A delicious easy coffee cake recipe that you can make into different flavors by simply using different pie filling flavors. This is a very easy tender, moist coffee cake made in a 9×13 inch baking pan. I love the fact that you can make it different flavors just by switching out the pie filling. How’s that for versatility!
Let’s talk about how you can take this recipe and make it something different every time you make it. A Blueberry pie filling with a little lemon zest mixed into the cake batter would be wonderful. Lemon and blueberry are exquisite together. Peach pie filling with 1/4 cup of finely crushed pecans in the topping would be lovely! Using finely crushed almonds in the topping for a cherry pie filling would be insanely delicious.
A spoon full of ice cream takes this from a coffee cake to an outstanding dessert. This cake is not only versatile but so easy that you don’t even need a mixer to make. Delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping it’s a keeper Kids! Use your imagination and run with it! Enjoy!
Delicious Cherry Cake with Crumb Topping
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar if you prefer less sugar use 1/2 cup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 can cherry pie filling or flavor of your choice
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan with shortening.
- 2. Place the flour ,sugar, baking powder, salt and melted butter in a large mixing bowl,stir together with a fork until crumbly. If you have large clumps get your hands in there and break them apart. Your hands are your best kitchen tool.
- 3. Take 1/2 cup of the crumbs out of the bowl. If you're using nuts in the topping, add 1/4 cup of finely crushed nuts now, set a side.
- 4. In a small bowl whisk the slightly beaten eggs and milk together, add milk mixture to the large bowl of crumbs and stir until incorporated. There will be small lumps in the batter.
- 5. Pour the batter into your prepared 9x13 inch baking pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the cake. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping over the pie filling. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Start checking cake at 35 minutes. Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack.
Did you make this recipe?I'd love to see your pictures on Instagram! Mention @bunnyswarmoven or tag #bunnyswarmoven!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
What a beautiful coffee cake!
I love the versatility of the recipe as well and that you spelled out the ways it can be changed up. It looks so tasty!
Thank you Patty! I appreciate your comment coming from a fantastic cook like you!
Thank you Catherine!! Blessing to you as well!!
i love a good coffee cake.. this looks seriously delicious. never made a coffee cake with cherries before, definitely something i need to trial in my kitchen. thanks for the idea!
Thalia it was very tender and moist, I hope you love it as much as I did!
It’s almost too pretty to eat. But I’d still eat it!
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Bobbi!! It’s very appreciated!!
This looks amazing and I love your tips and ideas to change the fruit. I featured you on my fb page. Thanks for linking up at Wonderful Wed. Blog Hop. Carrie, A Mother’s Shadow
Just printed out your recipe! Do you think it’d work with fresh cherries? I’m gonna try! Followed you from artsey fartsey linky
Cheri,making a pie filling with fresh cherries? or just putting fresh cherries on the batter? Let me know how it works out for you! It’s always helpful to know someone made it with fresh cherries too!
This looks delicious, and that crumb topping probably takes it to the next level! Pinned. 🙂
This looks so good and seems super easy, too. I recently checked out this book of healthy baking mixes from the library and I am wondering about using one of those for my base and then just doing your filling and topping instructions – the book is suppose to make your life easier by having dry mixes on hand. I’ll see how it goes… I look forward to making this.
This looks like such a fantastic cake. I love that you could serve it for breakfast or dessert and with a whole slew of flavors. Versatile really is the word to describe this recipe! Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.
Looks delicious! I bet the crumb topping takes it up a level too. 🙂 I hope you can stop on by and share this or any other recipe with us on Five Friday Finds!
Thanks for coming and linking up at #The Weekend Social. Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST The Midnight Baker ! I hope to see you there!
This looks wonderful! I’m following your blog, since I found it on Wake Up Wednesday, and all your recipes look amazing!!!
I love cherries and I love coffee cake, so this recipe is right up my alley! Thank you so much! Have a wonderful weekend.
Pinning! Looks delicious!
Such a delicious coffee cake! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!