Delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping
A delicious easy coffee cake recipe that you can make into different flavors by simply using different pie filling flavors. This is a very easy tender, moist coffee cake made in a 9×13 inch baking pan. I love the fact that you can make it different flavors just by switching out the pie filling. How’s that for versatility!
Let’s talk about how you can take this recipe and make it something different every time you make it. A Blueberry pie filling with a little lemon zest mixed into the cake batter would be wonderful. Lemon and blueberry are exquisite together. Peach pie filling with 1/4 cup of finely crushed pecans in the topping would be lovely! Using finely crushed almonds in the topping for a cherry pie filling would be insanely delicious.
A spoon full of ice cream takes this from a coffee cake to an outstanding dessert. This cake is not only versatile but so easy that you don’t even need a mixer to make. Delicious Cherry Coffee Cake with Crumb Topping it’s a keeper Kids! Use your imagination and run with it! Enjoy!
Delicious Cherry Cake with Crumb Topping
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar if you prefer less sugar use 1/2 cup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 can cherry pie filling or flavor of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan with shortening.
2. Place the flour ,sugar, baking powder, salt and melted butter in a large mixing bowl,stir together with a fork until crumbly. If you have large clumps get your hands in there and break them apart. Your hands are your best kitchen tool.
3. Take 1/2 cup of the crumbs out of the bowl. If you're using nuts in the topping, add 1/4 cup of finely crushed nuts now, set a side.
4. In a small bowl whisk the slightly beaten eggs and milk together, add milk mixture to the large bowl of crumbs and stir until incorporated. There will be small lumps in the batter.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared 9x13 inch baking pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the cake. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping over the pie filling. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Start checking cake at 35 minutes. Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack.