Banana Oatmeal Muffin with Pecan Brown Sugar Topping
Inspired by King Arthur Flour
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup quick oats, dry uncooked
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups very ripe mashed bananas
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup vanilla lowfat yogurt ( or plain yogurt)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Butter,softened
2 Tablespoons flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use shortening to grease a 12 cup muffin pan or use paper liners.
2. In a medium size bowl combine vanilla lowfat yogurt,egg,vegetable oil, mashed bananas, sugar and quick oats. Whisk together till well incorporated and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder,baking soda,salt and nutmeg. Whisk together until incorporated.
4. Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl, with your fingers, work the ingredients until they are crumbly.
5. Whisk the banana mixture into the flour mixture till just incorporated. Fill muffin tins to almost the top of the tin, about 3/4 full, the muffins don’t rise much. Sprinkle the topping over the muffin batter, bake muffins in a 375 degree oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until set and browned on top. Remove from oven onto a cooling rack, cool 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan.
Tip- To make quick oats from old fashioned oats, measure out the amounted needed and pulse in a food processor a few times.