Bacon Cheddar Scones is a delicious scone recipe you’re going to LOVE!
Bacon Cheddar Scones is my very first attempt at making scones…ever. Why in the world would someone that’s been baking as long as I have not even attempt to make scones? Well…they intimidated me. I use to read articles about how to make the best scones and they sounded so finicky. And then there was the decision of…should I make them with butter and cream? Or maybe all butter? Or just cream? I pretty much overloaded myself on info and decided someday I’d figure it out. In the meantime I just looked at pictures and developed scone envy.
That stopped today. I was having breakfast for dinner and decided today was the day I was making scones. And savoury scones to boot! Making scones is like making homemade biscuits. Scones are like delicious, tender biscuits. A fantastic way to to put it into perspective for me.
I started the recipe by frying six strips of bacon, them crumbling them up as small as I could get them. I took the crumbles and put them in a paper towel to get any bacon grease off the surface of the bits. Six fried strips of bacon yields about a half a cup of bacon bits.
I grated enough cheddar cheese to yield half a cup.
With those two ingredients ready to go I took the frozen stick of butter from the freezer and grated that as well. I worked the grated butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until it was all blended in. I added the bacon crumbles and grated cheese to the bowl. I then worked the bacon and cheese into the flour mixture by rubbing all the ingredients together between my fingers until I had coarse crumbs. The wet ingredients went in next. I mixed the ingredients together with a fork until the dough came together. I laid a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and placed the dough and the crumbs that didn’t make it into the dough ball on the plastic wrap. I kneaded the dough in the plastic wrap slightly till it formed a ball. Next it was time to pat the dough out onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and cut the scones and bake them.
Somebody kick me in the hind end for waiting so long to make scones! These were tender and absolutely DELICIOUS! Next, I’m making sweet scones, if I can make up my mind which flavor to make. ENJOY!
Bacon Cheddar Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter frozen and grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the sugar, baking powder,baking soda, flour and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the grated butter. Work the butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs.
- Add the bacon bits and grated cheese to the bowl. Work the ingredients into the flour by rubbing the ingredients between your thumb and fingers till you have coarse crumbs.
- Place the sour cream and egg in a small bowl, whisk together until smooth. Add the sour cream mixture to the flour mixture. Mix the sour cream mixture into the flour using a fork until the dough comes together. There will be crumbs in the bottom of the bowl.
- Place a strip of plastic wrap on the counter, place the dough and crumbs onto the plastic. Envelope the dough with plastic and knead slightly until the crumbs become part of the dough ball. Remove the dough ball from the plastic and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Pat the dough out into a 7 or 8 inch circle that is 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into eight wedges. Bake in a 400 degree preheat oven on the center rack for about 17 minutes or slightly browned.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Cream Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox