Chocolate Bavarian Pie
Chocolate Bavarian Pie…a smooth chocolate taste with a crunchy graham cracker crust. Amazing ! This pie is cool, smooth and luscious. But that’s what happens when you mix cream with chocolate. A Bavarian Cream Pie is a cold custard made with cream,gelatin and various fruit purees or chocolate. You could make this with a pastry crust as well as a graham cracker crust.
I chose graham cracker for the crunch factor. This was a very easy recipe, I made the graham cracker crust first and let it cool. The Bavarian filling was simple to put together. The longest time period in the recipe was waiting for the cooked chocolate filling to set up into a…” mounds when dropped from a spoon” consistency before adding the whipped cream. Let the chocolate cool until almost set.
I’ve worked with gelatin before , the best way to describe when the gelatin is set enough, is when it mounds when dropped from a spoon. You can make this a frozen treat by simply putting the finished pie in the freezer for 4 – 6 hours or overnight. Take it out of the freezer and let sit 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
You can make Chocolate Bavarian Pie using little tarts or layer the filling in parfaits. Whatever form you choose to serve it, this is one luscious treat you will LOVE!! Enjoy!
Chocolate Bavarian Pie
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- One 9-inch pie crust or crumb crust
1. Sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup milk in medium saucepan; stand several minutes to soften.
2. Stir together sugar and cocoa; add to milk mixture. Add corn syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir until melted. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk and vanilla. Pour into large bowl. Cool; refrigerate until almost set.
3. Beat whipping cream in small bowl on high speed until stiff. Beat the chocolate mixture on medium speed until smooth. On low speed, add whipped cream to the chocolate mixture, beating just until blended. Pour into prepared crust; refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate any leftover pie
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may be interested in these as well.