This extraordinary Italian Cream Cake is made with a cake mix…yes a CAKE MIX! I’ve never made or eaten an Italian Cream Cake. I can’t really tell you why I decided to make this recipe made from a cake mix instead of making a from scratch cake. All I can say now is WOW! I’m so glad I decided to make it with the cake mix, eventually I will make one from scratch ,but again…WOW! You can actually see how moist, tender and soft this cake is just by looking at the pictures!
The recipe comes together quickly, thanks to the cake mix. I made the cake in a 13×9 inch pan, it rose up beautifully , you could see how tender it was while in the pan before it was cut. The cream cheese frosting and the wonderful texture and flavors in the cake make this a decadent treat. Italian Cream Cake made with a cake mix, oh yes this is a keeper. Enjoy!
- One 16.25 ounce white or yellow cake mix ( not a cake mix with pudding in it)
- 3 1/2 ounce package vanilla instant pudding
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 3 TBLS butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 -2 TBLS cream, if needed
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- Place the cake mix, vanilla instant pudding,eggs,water and oil in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes. Fold in the coconut and chopped pecans. Pour the batter into your prepared 13×9 inch pan. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting the cake.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese together in a medium bow. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until smooth. If necessary, add the cream to make the frosting a spreading consistency. Frost the cake and sprinkle coconut over the top.