Lazy Day Cake
During the Summer months I hang the laundry out on the lines. I actually love doing it. There’s nothing like the smell of clean sheets air dried on the line. My dryer went on the fritz about a week ago and I haven’t found anybody who works on gas dryers to fix it.
Now normally with my clothes lines, that wouldn’t bother me. But it’s rained here every day for at least a month, or maybe it just feels that way. I spent the day running back and forth between the washer and the clothes lines before… yes you guessed it, another storm came rolling in.
As busy as I was, I found the time to make this glorious Lazy Day Cake. You’ve got to taste it to believe it. There’s cream and butter in the batter as well as in the topping. It rises up nice and tall with a fluffy tender texture.
My son said the topping tasted like…”You know those little things with pecans that taste like caramel”. Pralines , “Yes those”. You could serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a wonderful summer treat. Even if your not having a lazy day , this old fashioned cake is easy to make and absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
Lazy Day Cake
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream heavy
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/3 cup cream heavy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan with shortening, set aside.
- Place the 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup whipping cream in a heavy duty sauce pan over low heat. Stir and cook until butter has melted. Remove from heat, set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, whisk to combine, set aside.
- Place the sugar,vanilla and eggs in a large bowl. Beat on medium speed until mixture is creamy, scraping bowl as you beat. Add the melted butter/whipped cream mixture along with the flour mixture to the bowl. Beat until incorporated. Spread the batter into the prepared pan, bake 30 - 35 minutes until tests done with a toothpick.
- Heat your broiler
- Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined. Spread over the warm cake, broil 2 - 4 inches from heat. Broil until topping is bubbly all over, about 4 minutes. Cool the cake about 15 minutes, serve warm or cooled. Top with ice cream if desired.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Banana Coffee Cake