Every year I grow zucchini in the garden. Every year I go to the garden and marvel at how pretty the plant is, I love the blossoms. When the baby zukes start growing I start thinking about what I’m going to do with them.
It’s at this point that my attitude starts to change. Maybe you can relate. As I stand looking at the zuke my mind travels forward to when…suddenly it’s in peak season.
It’s coming out yours ears, you can’t get it into the freezer fast enough. There’s not enough time in the day or room in the freezer to bake and freeze zucchini bread.
It seems like missing one day of picking it means your going to go to the garden and there it is… You’ve got zuke the length of a toddler that weights ten pounds. And when it’s cut open, it’s got seeds the size of guitar picks.
Even the neighbors ,who use to welcomed your gifts of zucchini (before peak season), now turn the lights off and pretend they’re not home. I’m getting anxious just thinking about.
Ok relax Bunny… This year will be different. We’ll find great ways to use the zuke while they’re tender and young, like this fantastic recipe.
Zucchini Medley is loaded with vegetables, a delicious side dish with tons of flavor and texture. A fantastic way to eat zucchini! I’m actually looking forward to seeing baby zuke in the garden, ENJOY!
- 3 cups cubed baby zucchini
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced jarred garlic
- 5 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- One 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 8 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 11/2 Tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Let the pan get warmed up, place the butter, zucchini and onion in the pan. Saute and turn the mixture with a spatula until zucchini is tender and onion is soft.
- Add the corn and bacon to the pan. Continue to saute and turn mixture until corn is warmed through.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Cook a minute or two until tomatoes are warmed. Remove from the heat, serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.