Sloppy Joe Cosmos….Sloppy Joes are the perfect fast, easy dinner to serve when the weather heats up. I decided to kick this fantastic recipe up to include CHEESE! I love messing around with sandwiches, they’re so easy to adapt and add whatever you want to take them over the top.
All it took to take a Sloppy Joe recipe from a good sandwich to a Fantastic sandwich was cheese and an Italian Bread loaf. It was kind of like…grilled cheese meets Sloppy Joe and lived happily ever after. The inspiration for this concoction came while I was thinking about my hometown. In the town I live in, in Pennsylvania we have hoagie and pizza shops everywhere. These shops have been there forever and are family owned. When I moved to Kentucky the first thing I noticed was there were no mom and pop hoagie shops! Everything was brand named like Pizza Hut of Subway.
When my brother who lives in Virginia and I go home together the first thing we do when we hit town is stop and get a hoagie. Paul didn’t understand what in the world the difference was between the hoagies we grew up with and what you could get from a big brand name…until he tasted one. Then he knew. You can get a hoagie two ways in Sunbury, Pa. You can get it like most cold hoagies, watch them make it, pay for it and go home to devour it. Or, you can get a hoagie toasted in the oven, it then turns into a COSMO. A Cosmo is a hoagie that is toasted in the oven until the meat and cheese are hot and the bun toasted slightly. Then the lettuce, tomato, onion, seasons and mayo or oil are added.
The Cosmo was my inspiration for this delicious Sloppy Joe Cosmo. Made with Italian Bread, Monterrey Jack Cheese, and Sloppy Joe mix ,this is one filling dinner sandwich. You could even add lettuce and tomato to this kicked up sandwich and make it even better. Make your own Sloppy Joe Cosmo and Enjoy!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced peppers bell peppers, green or red
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 heaping Teaspoon yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup catsup
- dash worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Italian Bread Loaf
- butter enough to spread on Italian loaf
- In a saute pan over medium, heat cook the hamburger, onion, and peppers together until the hamburger is cooked through and the onions and peppers are soft. Drain the mixture.
- Add the garlic powder, mustard, catsup and worcestershire sauce, stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook another 15 - 20 minutes.
- Cut Italian Bread into serving sizes to meet your family's appetite. Cut the bread pieces in half. Spread butter on top and bottom of bread pieces. Broil until crispy and browned. Lay slices of Monterey Jack on each bread slice, broil until cheese has melted. Top the bottom of each bread slice with Sloppy Joe mix, place another piece of bread on top. Serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Italian Drip Beef