Pig Pickin Cake – This delicious cake will serve you well all year long.
This cake recipe has been around forever. I started a recipe binder when I was in my twenties, this recipe was in it. Hand written with the name of the person I got it from in the upper right hand corner of the page. I’m sure this cake has other names but I’m kind of partial to this one. I was reading a little bit about where the name came from. In the south pig roasts are called “pig pickins. Neighbours and friends would get together, roast a pig and pick the meat off of it. This cake was a favorite at those events and became know as Pig Pickin Cake. Makes sense right?
Traditionally this cake was made into layers. I prefer to make cakes in a 13×9 inch baking pan. They’re so much easier to serve that way. This delicious cake couldn’t have been easier to make. I think it took me a whole ten minutes to throw the cake together to bake it. The topping was just as easy.
It’s very moist and absolutely delicious! The combination of mandarin oranges and pineapple is wonderful. This cake is refrigerated because of the Cool Whip in the topping which makes it the perfect Summer dessert! Think about this delicious cake when your thinking about desserts to make this Summer and Winter for holidays and family gathers. Let’s gather the ingredients and make this wonderful cake together.
- One boxed yellow cake mix
- 15 ounce can Mandarin Oranges
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Cake Topping Ingredients:
- One 16 ounce container of Cool Whip
- One small package of vanilla instant pudding
- One Twenty ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
Add the mandarin oranges along with the juice from the can to the batter in the bowl. Beat with a mixer until they are incorporated.
After the cake has cooled completely make the frosting. To make the frosting:
Frost the cooled cake and refrigerate it until you’re ready to serve it. This cake recipe is going to serve you well anytime of the year , for any occasion, trust me your going to love it!
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, TRY THESE!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Pig Pickin Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix boxed
- 1 15 ounce can Mandarin oranges undrained
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 16 ounce container Cool Whip
- 1 small package vanilla instant pudding
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the boxed yellow cake mix, eggs and oil. Beat until smooth. Add the mandarin oranges along with the juice from the can.. Beat until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool the cake completely.
- Combine the drained pineapple and instant vanilla pudding in a large bowl, mix until well Incorporated. ( If it's to thick add a little of the drained pineapple juice) Add the container of Cool Whip, mix until well combined. Frost cooled cake and refrigerate.
Make sure that the cake is completely cooled before you frost it.