Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake With Apple – Nut Filling
There’s nothing better than an old fashioned cake made with sour cream and butter. Trust me, there’s plenty of both in this tender, delicious cake. There’s also three layers of an easy homemade apple nut filling to boot.
We start the recipe by making an easy apple nut filling. Dicing the apples is the hardest part of this delicious filling. The apples are cooked until tender which takes about 5 minutes. Look at the filling, think about what you could do with tender cooked apples and nuts with brown sugar and cinnamon! An ice cream topping? It would be fantastic on top of pancakes or french toast.
The cake batter is made next and it’s gorgeous. Filled with sour cream and butter, this batter is thick,creamy and luscious.
The cake batter is layered with apple nut filling in a bundt pan. There are three layers of batter and three layers of nut filling. Make sure when you place the apple nut filling onto the batter that you try and keep it in the center of the batter in the pan and away from the pan edges . You want the batter to rise up and envelope the filling when it bakes.
Moist, tender cake with layers of homemade apple nut filling , topped with a light glaze. There’s a reason we love old fashioned cake recipes, they are rich and delicious. Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake With Apple Filling is just that, ENJOY!
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake with Apple - Nut Filling
Apple Nut Filling:
- 2 cups apples,peeled, cored and diced small
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter,softened
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon vanilla
- add enough milk to make a glaze. About 2 Tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 325°F; grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10×4-inch tube pan.Prepare apple-nut filling: Cook all ingredients, except nuts, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until apples are tender. This will take approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in nuts. Set aside.Combine sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed, 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until each addition is just incorporated into the batter, don't over beat.
Spread 1/3 of the batter (about 2 cups) in the baking pan. Top with 1/3 of the filling. Repeat this pattern 2 more times, until all batter and filling have been used. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turnout onto a serving plate and cool completely.
For the glaze:To prepare glaze: Mix all ingredients until smooth, then drizzle over cooled coffee cake
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.