Blueberry Lovers Walnut Coffee Cake
Blueberry Lovers Walnut Coffee Cake…extremely moist and tender with a blueberry nut filling in the center and a delicious crumb topping to finish it off. Grab yourself a cup of coffee, this cake is a delicious treat for blueberry lovers!
We’re using a 9 inch spring form pan for this little darling. After the batter is made and two thirds of it is spread on the bottom of the pan, it gets a sprinkling of nut filling.
The blueberries are placed on top of the filling. Looking up at the picture you’ll see that I didn’t spread the blueberries to the edge of the pan. I left an inch around the pan without berries so the cake batter could rise up and envelope the berries.
The remaining batter is spread over top of the berries. Using a wet knife or metal icing spatula works well to spread the batter over the berries. A buttery crumb topping is placed on top , the cake is baked for about 60 minutes.
Blueberry Walnut Lovers Coffee Cake
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
Cake batter ingredients
- 2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen, if frozen do not thaw.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
For the Nut Filling
- In a small bowl combine the walnuts,brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
For the Topping
- In a medium bowl, cut 1/4 cup of butter with the 1/3 cup of flour until crumbly. Stir in 3/4 cup of the nut filling. Set nut mixer and topping aside.
Cake batter directions
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat 1/2 cup butter on medium speed 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until incorporated. Add eggs, one at a time on low speed until just incorporated.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Alternately add the flour mixture and the vanilla yogurt to the egg mixture . Beating on low speed until just incorporated with each addition.
- Spread 2/3 of the cake batter in a greased 9 inch spring form pan. Sprinkle with the reserved nut mixture. Spread the blueberries over the reserved nut mixture leaving a one inch border with no blueberries. Gently spread remaining cake batter over blueberries. Using a wet metal icing spatula or knife makes this easier. Sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven, place on a wire rack to cool. Cool for 10 minutes, run knife around the edges of the pan to release the cake, remove side of spring form pan. Cool 30 minutes. Serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.