Blueberry Lemon Clafoutis
Clafoutis is a French dessert made with fresh fruit, usually cherries, that are baked in a sweet batter. It’s like eating a custard with fruit! It is absolutely lovely!
I started the recipe with four oven proof dishes that I lightly greased with butter and sprinkled with castor sugar. Castor sugar is just a finer grain of sugar than what we use everyday. It can easily be made at home by putting granulated sugar into a food processor and pulsing until you have a smaller grain of sugar.
Two cups of blueberries were divided up among the four dessert dishes, a half cup for each dish.
The batter is very easy to make and literally took minutes to put together. There’s one ingredient in it that’s a little unusual as far as clafoutis recipes go, it has cream cheese in it! After the batter is made, it’s poured into the dessert dishes and put on top of a baking sheet . Lemon zest is sprinkled over the top and into the oven it goes for 20 minutes.
While it bakes it puffs up like a souffle, as it cools, it comes down. I sprinkled the clafoutis with powdered sugar after it cooled slightly, I couldn’t wait to taste it. The blueberry lemon flavor pops in your mouth, the texture was smooth and delicious! This was so easy to make, Blueberry Lemon Clafoutis ,it’s definitely a keeper. Enjoy!
Lemon Blueberry Clafoutis
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, frozen can be used, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup plus 4 Teaspoons castor sugar,divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese,cut into cubes, room temperature
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon confectioners sugar, used as a garnish if desired
- zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter 4 oven proof dessert dishes. Sprinkle sides and bottom with 4 Teaspoons castor sugar. Place 1/2 cup blueberries into each dessert dish. Set aside.In the bowl of an electric stand mixer beat the cream cheese,the remaining 1/2 cup caster sugar, flour, vanilla, and 1 egg until well blended. Add the remaining 2 eggs and mix till well blended. Gradually beat in the milk. Pour the batter into the dessert cups to about an inch from the top of the dish. Top each cup with grated lemon zest. Place dessert dishes on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Test with a toothpick, place toothpick in the center of the dessert, if it comes out clean it's done. Cool slightly, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.
Looking for more blueberry desserts? Try one of these from other bloggers.
Latest posts by Mary Bostow (see all)
- 30 Peach Recipes You Have to Add To Your Recipe Book! - 08/16/2019
- Banana Crumble - 08/15/2019
- Ham and Scalloped Potato Casserole - 08/14/2019