Beet Salad- it is what is missing in your life. Learn how to cook fresh beets here!
This beet salad recipe has a homemade dressing with a sweet and sour flavor reminiscent of (what I call) Red Beet Eggs. Garnished with crumbled blue cheese and pecans, it’s a wonderful cool salad to make any time of the year.
The decision to grow beets in the garden came when I got a hankering for beets last winter. While I was at the grocery store picking up a few odds and ends, I decided I wanted fresh beets. I picked up a package of beets in the produce section and looked at the price…over $5.00 for 3 beets. Well, needless to say, those beets went right back on the produce department shelf. That’s all it took for me to plant 4 rows of beets in the garden and to decide to learn how to cook fresh beets.
Now that I have my garden fresh beets, how do I cook them and what will I make with them? I can answer both those questions. Beet Salad is our recipe of choice. Cooking fresh beets from the garden to use in salads and side dishes is a breeze and we’re going to go through that easy process together right now. We’re also going to make Beet Salad with our cooked beets. Let’s get started with “how to cook fresh beets“.
How To Cook Fresh Beets on the Stove
- The first step in cooking garden fresh beets is selecting beets that are the same size. You don’t want to have a mixture of beet sizes in one pot. Smaller beets will be cooked through faster than larger beets. Cut the greens off the beets leaving about one inch left on top of the beet.
- Cutting the greens off to one inch helps prevent the color from bleeding into the water. Cut the tail on the bottom of the beet off.
- Place the beets into a large pot or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover them. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. After the beets have completely cooled, trim off the remaining stem on top.
- To remove the skins from the cooked beets grab yourself some paper towels. With paper towels in both hands pick a beet up and twist the beet in the paper towels with your hands, the skins will slide right off.
Beet Salad Recipe
After the skins are off the beets, cut them into the shape and size you need them. For this recipe, I wanted them to cut into thick strips.
After the beets have cooled it’s time to make the salad. I decided to use a bed of spinach to lay the fresh beets on. You can choose the greens of your choice.
Grab yourself a small bowl, it’s time to make the dressing for this delicious Beet Salad. Add the vinegar, finely chopped onion, sugar and salt, and pepper to the bowl. Whisk the ingredients until they are well combined.
Add the olive oil in a steady stream to the bowl while you whisk. Place the beet strips in a large bowl, drizzle the dressing over the beets. Toss the beet strips to coat them in the dressing. Place the beets on a bed of greens. Save the remaining dressing to drizzle over the salad.
Sprinkle the top of the salad with crumbled Blue Cheese and crushed Pecans. Drizzle any remaining dressing over the salad. Beet Salad it’s what’s for dinner all year round and it’s absolutely delicious using garden fresh beets, ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Oven Roasted Carrots...Oven Roasted Parsley Potatoes...Baked Cabbage...Broccoli Gratin...Fresh Green Bean Salad
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs cooked beets cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- Blue cheese crumbled
- pecans chopped
- Wash and trim the beets.
- Place in a large saucepan, cover with water. Cook the beets over medium heat until a fork reaches the center of the beets easily but you still have a firm and not mushy beet. You may have to add water to the pan during the cooking process.
- Cool the beets and remove the skins. Slice the beets into 1/4 inch thick sticks.
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients except the olive oil. Whisk the ingredients to incorporate. Add the olive oil in a steady stream to the bowl while you whisk.
- Place the beats strips in a large bowl, drizzle the dressing over top, toss to combine. Serve on a plate garnished with greens if desired. Sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese and pecans. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
One product I recommend for this recipe: