Apple Crumb Cakes, this recipe makes extremely light, moist cakes that you can make in regular of jumbo muffin tins. The perfect little treat to enjoy with coffee, tea or a big glass of cold milk.
Apple Crumb Cakes
Apple Crumb Cakes are delicious and so very easy to make. I’m going to take you through the recipe step by step to show you just how easy these little treats are to put together. The first thing we’re going to do is preheat the oven to 350 degrees so it gets up to temperature while we make the streusel and batter.
We start the recipe by making the streusel topping for the Apple Cakes first. Place the butter, flour, salt, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium size bowl.
Using a Pastry blender, work the ingredients together until you have coarse crumbs. Place the crumbs in a shallow bowl or plate and refrigerate until you’er ready to use them.
Place the flour, sugar,salt, baking powder,baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the butter cubes to the bowl and beat until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Add the sour cream,vanilla and beaten egg to the bowl, beat until the ingredients are just incorporated and the batter is smooth.
Once you have a smooth batter without lumps , stop beating the batter. The longer you beat the batter the more gluten you produce. The more gluten you produce the tougher the cakes will be. Only beat cakes (any cake batter, not just this one) long enough to achieve a smooth batter without lumps ,then stop beating. There’s no other reason for you to keep beating if your batter is smooth and creamy.
The next step is to add the diced apple to the bowl. STIR the dice apples into the batter until they are distributed evenly and well incorporated.
I made my Apple Crumb Cakes in jumbo cupcake tins, I liked the idea of making little individual coffee cakes. You can also make them in regular cupcake tins. Fill the tins with cupcake liners, fill the liners half way up with batter. If your not using cupcake liners, grease each muffin tin well before adding the batter.
Take the streusel topping that has already been made and waiting in the refrigerator for you out of the fridge. Press the streusel into clumps and sprinkle over top of the cake batter. Bake the cakes for 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time. Continue baking until they are risen and golden in color. Cool slightly before serving.
This recipe for Apple Crumb Cakes makes extremely light, moist little cakes. Whether you make these in jumbo or regular muffin tins the baking time will be the same. Apple Crumb Cakes, the perfect little treat to enjoy with coffee, tea or a big glass of cold milk. Enjoy!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For More Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Apple Crumb Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick cold butter cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 large Granny Smith apple peeled and finely diced
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped pecans optional - to sprinkle over streusel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake tins with paper liners or grease each tin.
- Add the flour,salt,brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the cold cubed butter to the bowl. Using a pastry blender, work the butter into the dry ingredients together until you have coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Cake batter directions
- Combine flour,sugar,salt,baking powder,baking soda,and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, work the butter into the dry ingredients until you have coarse crumbs.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, add the sour cream,vanilla and beaten egg. Mix together until the ingredients are just incorporated and batter is smooth. Add the diced apples, stir into the batter until just incorporated.
- Fill muffin tins halfway full with batter. Press the streusel into clumps and sprinkle over batter. (it may look like you have more topping than you need , just keep adding it). Sprinkle chopped pecans over streusel,if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking.
Looking for more apple recipes, try these from other bloggers.