This Apple Coffee Cake has a layer of streusel and apples in the center of the cake and a generous amount of streusel on top as well. You’re going to love it!
Apple season brings about the need to find delicious ways to incorporate them into my baking. Not a problem here, one of my favorite Fall flavors is apples and cinnamon. The aroma permeates through the house and always makes me feel warm and cozy. Doesn’t the idea of apple coffee cake just bring all of those feelings to mind?
This apple coffee cake has a layer of streusel and apples in the center of the cake and a generous amount of streusel on top as well. As you’ll see looking at the recipe , it has both butter and vanilla yogurt in the batter which makes it extremely soft and moist.
This isn’t an overly sweet apple cake, coffee cakes usually aren’t. Which suits me just fine , I has dubbed it “A First Prize Winner”! I loved it! Apple Coffee Cake is made in a 13×9 inch cake pan so it’s perfect for making and sharing at work or as a wonderful treat for holiday guests. Let’s gather the ingredients and make it together.
Apple Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter – cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 11/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs – room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 5 medium apples (Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples) peeled, cored and diced
How To Make The Topping For the Apple Coffee Cake
We start the recipe by first greasing a 13×9 inch baking pan and preheating the oven to 350 degrees. To make the topping for the cake – Place 11/4 cups light brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup room temperature butter and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon into a medium size bowl. Mix the ingredients with a fork until the topping is crumbly and the butter is blended in. Add the pecans to the bowl and mix them into the topping.
How To Make The Cake Portion
Place 3 1/4 cups flour, baking soda and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients and set them aside. Using another large bowl cream the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy.
Beat the eggs into the beaten butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each egg addition. After the eggs are beaten in add the vanilla extract and vanilla yogurt to the bowl. With the mixer on low speed beat the flour, baking powder and baking soda into the mixture just until incorporated.
Spoon about 3 cups of the batter into the bottom of your greased 13×9 inch pan. Smooth the batter out with a spatula to level it out. Sprinkle the batter with 1/4 cup of the streusel mix and the diced apples.
Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of streusel mixture over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel and apples and top with the remaining streusel. Press the streusel down into the batter lightly with your hand. Place the cake into the preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
This delicious coffee cake is What’s For Dessert?! And you’re going to love it!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Looking For For Recipes From Bunny’s Warm Oven, Try These!
Key Lime Margarita Pie...Jewish Coffee Cake…Pineapple Coffee Cake…Banana Chocolate Chip Cake…Homemade Blueberry Custard Pie
Apple Coffee Cake
- 11/4 cups light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 5 medium apples Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced
- Generously grease a 13x9 inch baking pan. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- 1. In a medium size bowl combine 11/4 cups light brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter pieces and cinnamon. Mix with a fork until topping is crumbly and butter is blended in, add chopped pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine 31/4 cups flour,baking powder and baking soda. Stir to combine
- 3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract and vanilla yogurt. With the mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended.
- 3. Spoon about 3 cups of the batter into the bottom of your prepared pan, smooth with a spatula to level it out. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel mixture and the apples, then 1/2 cup of the streusel mixture. Spoon remaining batter over streusel apple layer. Top with remaining streusel. Press the streusel down into the batter lightly with your hand. Bake cake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Looking for more apple recipes. try these from other bloggers.
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
I must say, you nailed this recipe and this post. Your photo just makes me want to have a bit of this coffee cake NOW! Nicely done!
Thank you Dan!!
My word, look at the crumb on that cake!! Delish 🙂
Thank you Sharana!!
cannot find your recipe for you cinnamon cream cheese apple cake
Good morning Nana! I’m sorry you couldn’t find it, here’s the link, just click on it and it’ll take you right to it. http://bunnyswarmoven.net/2014/04/cream-cheese-apple-cake
Thank you for such a quick response. Anxious to try
Hi.. Would there be a way to make this lactose free? Could I substitute the yoghurt with soya milk or soya custard / pudding?
Lou Lou, I’ve never tried it with either of those things but if you’ve used them as a substitute before go for it! I did find an article that you might find interesting about replacing dairy with lactose free products. Here’s the link…http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/5-ways-to-replace-dairy-when-youre-lactose-intolerant.html
Thanks so much for getting back to me and for the useful link. Really appreciate. So excited to try this recipe and a bunch of others I found on your site 🙂
Your so welcome LuLu. If you make any of the recipes adapted with the dairy substitutes it would be very helpful to other people with the same problem if you came back and told us how it was. Thank you LuLu!!
I love all of your post:)
Thank you Flo!!
Can you substitute sour cream for the yogurt in this cake
Yes Jane, I do it all the time!
Wonderful, I’m making it today !
That was my exact question since I don’t have plain yogurt but have sour cream! Making this today thanks! (Found you on Pinterest)
Laura if your replacing the vanilla yogurt with sour cream you may want to up the actual vanilla extract in the recipe a little bit to replace the vanilla flavor in the yogurt OK? I can’t tell you how much though, I’ve never replaced it. Let me know how it works out for you. I’d love to hear!
Oh my how delicious this looks. If I wasn’t already busy and not needing any food for a few days I would love to make this. This is apple season to me.
Will this apple cake freeze well?
Honey cakes don’t last long around here so I’ve never frozen this cake or any other cake. I did look this up online though and people have frozen apple cakes by first letting it cool completely then double wrappng it in plastic wrap and then wrapping it in foil. I hope this helps.
OMG!!! Absolutely delicious! Everyone in the family LOVED it!!!
Wow! It’s amazing when the whole family agrees on something LOL!