Apple Almond Custard Pie
Apple Almond Custard Pie – Sliced apples nestled in a layer of custard flavored with cinnamon and vanilla and topped with sliced almonds. The flaky all butter crust adds another dimension of flavor and texture that’s just heavenly. If you don’t have a recipe for an all butter pie crust, you can find the recipe I use here.
I was totally unprepared for the reaction I got when family members tasted this pie. My husband Paul couldn’t get enough of it, he absolutely loved it. He’s not much of a sweet eater so the fact that this pie isn’t overly sweet made it perfect for him.
He actually suggested that if anybody wanted it sweeter, they could drizzle a little honey over the top of the almonds. GOOD ONE sweetie!!! I think being married to a baking fanatic is rubbing off on him.
Paul’s son David said it was the best piece of pie he’s had in a very long time. “It’s perfection,don’t change anything.” It’s compliments like these that make a baker’s heart go pitter patter. Apple Almond Custard Pie Enjoy!!
Apple Almond Custard Pie
- 1 nine inch all butter pie crust or prepackaged pie crust
- 2 small to medium apples cored, peeled and sliced, thin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla
- drizzle of honey optional
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- Prebake an all butter nine inch pie crust at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. You don't want the crust completely baked, just partially baked.
- To prebake a pie crust - After you have rolled the crust out and placed it in the pie plate, prick the sides and bottom of the crust with a fork. Place it into the refrigerator at least half an hour. This helps prevent shrinkage when baking. Remove from the fridge, place parchment paper on the bottom of the crust, place dried rice, beans or pie weights on the paper. Bake about 25 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and rice, cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl combine egg, whipping cream and 2 Teaspoons of sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until well blended. Add almonds to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Place apple slices into the prebaked pie crust. Arrange in a circle, allowing the apples to overlap around the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the filling over the apples. Place a strip of foil around the pie crust if needed to prevent the crust from browning more. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until filling is set and apples are tender.
- Turn on the broiler,arrange rack 5 inches from broiler. Sprinkle 1 Teaspoon sugar over the pie, broil 1 - 2 minutes or until sugar is light brown, remove from the oven to a wire rack to cook. Refrigerate any left over pie.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may like these as well.