Lemon Sponge Pie
Lemon Sponge Pie has the perfect lemon flavor. My husband says it’s better than the best Key Lime Pie he’s ever eaten.
This is an easy, economical pie to make in that it uses few ingredients , ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. While baking, the pie separates into two scrumptious layers.
It makes a soft sponge like topping while underneath a creamy delicious lemon filling. Bake a taste of Pennsylvania Dutch goodness in Lemon Sponge Pie and ENJOY!
- Pastry for 9 inch one crust pie (homemade or store bought)
- 3 eggs, separated ( separate, yolks from whites)
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll your dough out and place into a 9 inch pie plate. Place pie plate on top of a baking sheet. Crimp edges. If using a pre-made crust, thaw before using.
- 1. Beat egg whites in a large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form but not dry, set aside.
- 2. Beat egg yolks, add the lemon juice and milk and beat until well incorporated. Add sugar, flour and salt; beat until smooth.
- 3. Fold lemon mixture into egg whites, making sure that there are no lumps of egg white left in batter or white streaks.
- 4. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate sitting on top of a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool the pie down completely and refrigerate for a couple hours to let the filling set.Serve with sweetened whipped cream if desired