This recipe came from a big ole Hershey Chocolate Dessert Book I got at holiday time. I was very intrigued with the recipe because I’ve never made a torte before. To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
It was easy to put together , I mean really easy. You make one cake in a jelly roll pan, cut it into 3 equal pieces and stack them. The layers are filled with raspberry preserves and whipped cream. Absolutely delicious!
I’m already thinking about what flavorings to put into the whipped cream, and switching out the preserves . Oh the possibilities!! I opted for walnuts instead of coconut…the sky’s the limit with this one…use your imagination!
Wanna print just the recipe, click here!
Viennese Chocolate Torte
* 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
* 1/4 cup boiling water
* 1/3 cup shortening
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 egg
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
* 1/4 cup seedless black raspberry preserves
* Cream Filling (recipe follows)
* Cocoa Glaze (recipe follows)
* MOUNDS Coconut Flakes, toasted
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 15×10 1/2×1-inch jelly-roll pan; line pan with wax paper and lightly grease paper.
2. Stir together cocoa and boiling water in small bowl until smooth; set aside. Beat shortening, sugar and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy; beat in egg. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to shortening mixture. Add reserved cocoa mixture, beating just until blended. Spread batter into pan.
3. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Remove wax paper. cool completely. Cut cake crosswise into three equal pieces. Place one piece on serving plate. Stir raspberry preserves to soften; spread 2 tablespoons evenly on top of cake. Spread half of Cream Filling over preserves. Repeat layering. Glaze top of torte with Cocoa Glaze, allowing some to drizzle down sides. Garnish with coconut. Refrigerate several hours. Cover; refrigerate leftover torte.
*To sour milk: Use 2 teaspoons white vinegar plus milk to equal 2/3 cup.
CREAM FILLING: Beat 1 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in small bowl until stiff. Makes about 2 cups filling.
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons HERSHEY’S Cocoa
2 tablespoons water
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in cocoa and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do NOT boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in powdered sugar gradually. Add vanilla and beat with whisk until smooth. Add additional water 1/2 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency.
Makes 10 servings.