Key Lime Poke Cake is a homemade white cake with a mild key lime filling topped with whipped cream. A very light and refreshing cake that can be made completely from scratch or semi homemade. I made this delicious treat for a party our new neighbours Peggy and Michael threw for the people who live on Gilberts Creek along with their family and friends. Our hosts also treated us to a blue grass band called Hot Chocolate and Mushrooms, playing right in their backyard. It was a wonderful warm lazy Saturday afternoon in Kentucky with plenty of good food and friends.
After feasting on smoked pork butt, hamburgers, hot dogs, pasta salad, potato salad and assorted fruits we dug into the cake. My husband and his friends all sat together getting they’re first tastes of Key Lime Poke Cake when I heard them calling me, I looked over to find them sitting there with big smiles and a thumbs up telling me they loved it! I made this Key Lime Poke Cake with a homemade white cake, you can also make it semi homemade with a white boxed cake mix.
The key lime filling has a mild flavor that isn’t over powering, it’s just perfect.The filling was very easy to make, and as with all poke cakes, take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes in the baked cooled cake and pour the filling over top and refrigerate for an hour. I topped the cake with whipped cream made with unflavored gelatin which makes it hold up just as well as Cool Whip. This cake sat on the food table all afternoon and the whipped cream didn’t weep or melt at all. You can use Cool Whip, but homemade whipped cream is just delicious on this cake. This quickly became a favorite here and will be made a lot this summer, I hope you love this as much as we did! Enjoy!
Instructions for making Key Lime Poke Cake Semi Homemade using a store bought cake mix are in the recipe card..
Key Lime Poke Cake
- White Cake Recipe
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 1/2 sticks, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites 3/4 cup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pan 13 by 9 by 2-inch, greased with shortening
- Key Lime Filling
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz, not evaporated
- 3/4 cup whipping cream heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice or regular lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups whipping cream heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven
- 1. Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- 2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- 3.Whisk the egg whites, milk and vanilla extract together until well blended.
- 4. Add the flour alternately with the egg mixture while beating with an electric mixer. Always start with flour and end with flour. Add 1/3 of the flour to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated, add egg mixture, beat until incorporated. Repeat with flour, then egg mixture and lastly flour. Only beating until just incorporated. Scraping bowl often.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared 9x13 inch greased baking pan, smoothing batter to edges of pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes testing with a toothpick for doneness.
- 6. Cool cake completely. With the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes in the cake.
- In medium bowl, stir together filling ingredients (mixture will thicken). Pour over cake; spread evenly over surface, working back and forth to fill holes. (Some filling should remain on top of cake.) Refrigerate 1 hour.
Whipped Cream Directions
- 1. Refrigerate a large mixing bowl about 15 minutes to chill.
- 2. In a small saucepan sprinkle unflavored gelatin over the cold water, let sit for one minute to dissolve. Over low heat, cook the gelatin about 3 minutes until it is completely dissolved, cool to room temperature.
- 3. Place whipping cream in the large chilled bowl. With the electric mixer on low, pour gelatin into whipped cream in a steady stream and mix until well blended. With the mixer on medium speed continue to beat whipped cream until thickened. With electric mixer on high speed, gradually add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream on top of cake.
To Make Key Lime Poke Cake Semi Homemade
- If you're making this cake semi homemade use your favorite brand of white boxed cake mix, example... Betty Crockers Super Moist White Cake Mix. Add 1 1/4 cups water, 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil and 4 eggs to the dry cake mix. Beat ingredients about 2 minutes scraping bowl. Pour batter into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes, testing with a toothpick for doneness. Let cake cool completely. Poke holes in the baked cooled cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Make the homemade key lime filling (recipe above), spread the filling over top the cake, filling the holes, there will be filling that settles on top of the cake. Refrigerate 1 hour. Top with a container of Cool Whip.
Did you make this recipe?I'd love to see your pictures on Instagram! Mention @bunnyswarmoven or tag #bunnyswarmoven!
DON’T MISS A RECIPE!
Get new free recipes delivered right to your inbox
So cute and so perfect for the season right now. I love key lime recipes! Thanks for linking up with Delicious Dishes Recipe Party!
I have just made this from a packet of gluten free cake mix.It was Beautiful. It is better if you m
ake it the night before and my suggestion is put the topping on when cake is lighty warm not when cool..
Nice adaption Narrell!! Thank you for letting me know a GF cake mix works great for the recipe!