Homemade Stewed Tomatoes – serve them with your favorite homemade mac and cheese recipe for an amazing treat!
If you’ve never made your own stewed tomatoes with fresh from the garden home grown tomatoes you’re in for a treat. This is a fantastic side dish all by itself ,but paired with homemade macaroni and cheese… it’s amazing!
I live in Pennsylvania and worked as management in a family style restaurant many years ago. Every friday we served fried haddock, macaroni and cheese and stewed tomatoes. The head cook (and my sweet friend Cyn) would bread countless haddock pieces to fry for that day. She’d also make huge pans of homemade macaroni and cheese and stewed tomatoes to feed the hundreds of people she knew would be piling into the restaurant that day.
We had so many people that wanted just the mac and cheese and stewed tomatoes that we decided to sell it by itself on a plate without the fried haddock. To say that we love this delicious combination together is an understatement!
Homemade Stewed Tomatoes is a very easy recipe to make. You can make it ahead of time with no problem at all and reheat right before dinner is served. Not into macaroni and cheese? Try it with mashed potatoes! This delicious side dish will pair well with anything you serve it with. Homemade Stewed Tomatoes…make it and ENJOY!
PIN IT FOR LATER
Homemade Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 medium to large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- Place the tomatoes, green pepper and onions in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes. Add the sugar, salt and pepper to the pan, stir to combine. Mix the cornstarch and water together. Slowly add it to the pan stirring as you add. After the tomatoes have thickened, cook the tomatoes a couple more minutes , remove from the heat and serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.