Cheesy Broccoli Rice
Even though we try very hard to eat healthy around here there are some things I use to buy prepackaged that I get a craving for. My biggest weakness has always been boxed rice mixes.
You know the one I’m talking about. You saute the rice, add the water and flavor packet, let it simmer and eat an entire pan full by myself. Well it was rice… but it had ingredients and additives in it I couldn’t pronounce.
Cheesy Broccoli Rice satisfies my boxed rice cravings perfectly. It’s homemade and absolutely delicious, plus I know every ingredient it’s made with! Long grain rice, real cheese and spices with a veggie thrown in for good measure.
It’s also a very versatile recipe. I’ve made it with cheddar cheese, tonight I made it with Monterey Jack. You can switch out the broccoli with a veggie your family loves, or make it without one. Cheesy Broccoli Rice is a homemade side dish your whole family will eat and love, Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli, steamed and chopped roughly ( or veggie of your choice)
- 1 1/3 cups grated cheese, use the cheese your family loves...Cheddar, Monterey Jack etc...
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- milk, as needed to thin before serving if nessecary
- Place the oil in a medium size sauce pan over medium to low heat.
- Add the rice to the pan, cook and stir, until the rice starts to turn golden brown.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, heat till it starts to boil. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes or until most of the chicken broth is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter, chopped broccoli, cheese, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste ,add milk if desired to get the consistency you want.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.