Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake has three layers to it. The cake layer on the bottom is sprinkled with blueberries and topped with a cream cheese filling. A crumb topping is sprinkled over the cream cheese filling to make 3 delicious layers with different textures that fit together like a glove.
The cake layer is very light, the blueberries stay at the top of the cake just under the cream cheese layer. It’s such a nice surprise to taste the mingling of the cream cheese and blueberry together. The crumb topping adds a welcome crunch and rounds this up to one lovely coffee cake. Enjoy!
- 2 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries ( if frozen, thaw and drain well)
- Reserved Crumb Mixture
- 1/2 cup nuts,chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees . Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs. Remove one cup of crumbs, set aside.
- To the remaining crumbs add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl when needed. Pour the mixture into the 13x9 inch prepared pan, spread evenly.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese,egg, sugar and lemon zest until smooth. Sprinkle blueberries over the cake batter. Pour the cream cheese mixture of the berries, gently spread evenly over the berries.
- In a medium bowl combine the reserved crumb mixture, nuts,brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over top the cream cheese layer.
- Bake In a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven, cool on a wire rack.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.