Paul and I made a trip to Pennsylvania in August to visit with my family. We started out early knowing we would stop for breakfast along the way. When our bellies started telling us it was time to eat we stopped at a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Paul ordered a huge breakfast with eggs, pancakes and every breakfast meat they had. While looking at the menu and all the absolutely delicious choices I had to pick from, I chose an oatmeal breakfast with dried cranberries, pecans and fried apples. It also came with a huge incredibly moist blueberry muffin.
When the first spoon full of oatmeal hit my taste buds with all those incredible flavors and textures I was in heaven. I knew I wasn’t going to be happy with just plain oatmeal anymore. It wasn’t going to be hard to duplicate at home, oatmeal , pecans and cranberries are a staple in my kitchen. I just had to find a way to make enough apples at one time to keep and reheat for breakfast . The solution to that was my crock pot. These apples are tender and delicious and …dare I say better than what I originally had. Warm apples spiced with cinnamon ,nutmeg and brown sugar with a hint of lemon. Stirred into oatmeal , adorning pancakes and waffles or used as a topping for ice cream, it’s one of those very simple delicious treasures that makes eating a pleasure. Crock Pot Apples , I know you’ll find your own way to use them. Enjoy!
- 6 large tart apples, example Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Peel, core and cut apples into 8 wedges. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle the lemon juice over them, toss to coat. Place apples in the bottom of the crock pot. Combine brown sugar, white sugar, flour,cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples. Drizzle with the melted butter. Cover the opening of the crock pot with a clean kitchen towel, place the lid on top of the towel. Cook on low 3 - 4 hours until apples are tender.