Kale Bean Soup
Kale Bean Soup is a hearty , delicious meal that just happens to be good for you. You could certainly substitute other greens for Kale, or use a combination including it.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups Kale, chopped into small pieces
- Two 15 ounce cans white beans - you can use Great Northern, Navy, Cannellini
- 1 small can tomatoes, drained or 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 Teaspoons dried Italian Herb Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan rind
- Grated Parmesan Cheese for topping
Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and onion, saute until soft. Add kale, saute and stir until wilted.Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, all the tomatoes, herbs ,lemon juice , Parmesan rind, salt and pepper to the pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Place the remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Stir the processed ingredients into the soup to thicken. Simmer about an hour or until kale is tender. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.Crock Pot Method - After the garlic, onion and Kale are sauteed, all ingredients can be placed in a crock pot to cook on low for 6 hours.