1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan with shortening.
2. Place the flour ,sugar, baking powder, salt and melted butter in a large mixing bowl,stir together with a fork until crumbly. If you have large clumps get your hands in there and break them apart. Your hands are your best kitchen tool.
3. Take 1/2 cup of the crumbs out of the bowl. If you're using nuts in the topping, add 1/4 cup of finely crushed nuts now, set a side.
4. In a small bowl whisk the slightly beaten eggs and milk together, add milk mixture to the large bowl of crumbs and stir until incorporated. There will be small lumps in the batter.
5. Pour the batter into your prepared 9x13 inch baking pan. Spread the cherry pie filling over the cake. Sprinkle the reserved crumb topping over the pie filling. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Start checking cake at 35 minutes. Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack.