Shrimp Macaroni Salad
Shrimp Macaroni Salad is a delicious variation on an old summer favorite. This was eaten up and enjoyed in record time in this house.
The shrimp I used in the recipe came from a 12 ounce store brand bag of frozen, cooked and peeled salad shrimp. The bag is resealable so it can stay in the freezer until I’m ready to make it again. I measured out the amount I needed ,then let the shrimp thaw at room temperature. After it was thawed, I patted it dry with paper towels.
I used elbow pasta for the recipe, you could use any small shaped pasta you have in your pantry. We start out by cooking one cup of dry pasta. One cup doesn’t sound like it’s going to yield much but it does if you cook it till it’s tender. I cooked the pasta in water until it was tender and doubled in size.
My husband, who is not a fan of mayonnaise based salads,ate this up. The addition of sour cream and lemon gives the dressing a very light,bright taste and feel in your mouth that he thoroughly enjoyed. Shrimp Macaroni Salad, the perfect way to beat the heat of summer when it’s time to eat, Enjoy!
Shrimp Macaroni Salad
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, peeled frozen salad shrimp, thawed and patted dry with paper towels
- 2 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 2 Tablespoons green pepper,diced
- 1 Teaspoon onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped, or cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup green olives, diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook elbow macaroni until tender using package directions. Run the macaroni under cold water to cool it down, drain in a colander, place in a large bowl.Combine one Tablespoon of lemon juice plus 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil in a small bowl, whisk to combine. Pour over cooked macaroni, toss to combine. Refrigerate the macaroni for at least an hour, tossing occasionally to coat with the lemon and oil mixture. In the meantime, prepare the other ingredients. Fold the shrimp,eggs and green pepper into the pasta. In a medium size bowl whisk the sour cream, salt, remaining tablespoon of lemon juice and mayonnaise together until well blended. Fold the mixture into the pasta, add the onion, celery, tomatoes and olives to the bowl, gentle fold into the pasta. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Salt and pepper to taste before serving.Serve on lettuce beds.