I was looking for a way to use up the strawberries I had left after making the Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake. I’ve never heard of a Russian Creme Custard. My husband being Russian was extremely happy that I was going to make it. I was happy that in this 90 degree weather I didn’t have to turn the oven on. This was very easy to make. The recipe can be made with raspberries or strawberries. I got up in the morning , made the 2 components to the dessert and left them in the fridge until I was ready to put them together. I also halved this recipe because it’s just the two of us. It worked out beautifully, I got 3 very nice portions, the full recipe makes 6.
Russian Creme Custard
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- One 8 - ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Strawberry Sauce recipe follows
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberries
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine whipping cream and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In another small saucepan, combine water and gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Heat and stir over medium heat till gelatin dissolves. Stir gelatin mixture into whipping cream mixture, transfer to a medium bowl. Stir sour cream and vanilla into cream mixture; mix until well combined.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes until mixture thickens like the consistency of yogurt.
- Layer cream mixture and Strawberry Sauce in 6 parfait glasses , ending with Strawberry Sauce; swirl sauce into the cream with a thin metal spatula. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to 4 hours. Top with fresh strawberries to garnish
- Strawberry Sauce
- 3 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place 1-1/2 cups strawberries in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process till berries are pureed. Press berries through a fine-mesh sieve; discard seeds. Repeat with 1-1/2 cups more berries. (You should have about 1 cup sieved puree.) In a small saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Add sieved berries and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. Makes 1-1/4 cups.