Pennsylvania Shoo Fly Cake
If you live in a state where Amish have settled and lived in, like my home state of Pennsylvania, most likely you know what Shoo Fly Pie is. The dark rich filling of Shoo Fly Pie topped with crumbs has a unique flavor that we Pennsylvanians love.
Pennsylvania Shoo Fly Cake has the same delicious flavor of pie but in cake form. I was extremely excited to make and share this with my neighbors on Gilbert’s Creek. I watched them take their first bite and wonder what gave this moist cake it’s rich delicious flavor and dark color?
As is the case in making Shoo Fly Pie, molasses is also used to make Pennsylvania Shoo Fly Cake. Full flavored molasses is what I used. I’m only showing you the bottle so you know what you’re looking for in the store , any brand will do.
The cake takes few ingredients to make, your reward for making it, a moist, rich cake with a unique flavor that will leave your family asking for more, Enjoy!
- 4 cups flour
- 2 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 Teaspoons baking soda
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Using a large bowl, stir the flour,brown sugar,and salt together. Add the butter. Work the butter into the mixture until you have crumbs using a pastry blender or rubbing the mixture together with your fingers. Take out 1 1/2 cups of crumbs, reserve for the topping.
- In a large bowl combine the boiling water,molasses and baking soda, mix well with a whisk. Make sure to use a large bowl, when the baking soda is added it foams up quiet a bit.
- Add 1/2 the liquid to the crumb mixture. Mix until moist and smooth. Add the remaining liquid and mix until just incorporated, the batter will be slightly runny.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, top with reserved crumbs. press crumbs into the batter lightly. Bake 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you may like these as well.