To Read More, Click On The Recipe Title.
Isn’t it great that you can go to the frozen food section of your grocery store and buy frozen fruit that can be used whenever you want to. I had such fruit in my freezer and decided it was time to use it to make this wonderful dessert. I needed a reminder that winter as cold and brutal as it’s been this year, is on it’s way out! This is a frozen dessert but it was wonderful not frozen as well. I put this is the freezer for a couple of hours to get it firmed up, not frozen and then sliced it to taste. This is light, creamy and strawberry delicious! I loved the contrast of textures, smooth, light and creamy with baked crunchies in the base and sprinkled on top. I made the recipe per the recipe instructions in a 13×9 inch pan. You could make this dessert a little taller by making it in a 9 inch square pan or ( and I love this idea) make individual servings in paper cups and pull one out of the freezer whenever you want to. Before you serve this, take it out of the freezer and let it un – thaw a bit. You’ll love how creamy and airy light it is. There is one part of the directions that might need a little clarifying. When you put the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tarter in the saucepan, beat with an electric hand mixer or whisk slowly for one minute and then continue mixing until the mixture reaches 160 degrees. First, your mixing till the sugar melts, you don’t want the egg whites turning white and second, it doesn’t take long to reach 160 degrees. Basically you’re melting the sugar to get ready to beat the mixture into the strawberries.
Frozen Strawberry Dessert
Taste Of Home
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Place in a
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-20
- minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool on a wire
- rack. Set aside 1/3 cup for topping; sprinkle remaining nut mixture
- into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the egg whites, 1 tablespoon sugar,
- water and cream of tartar over low heat. With a portable mixer, beat
- on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until
- mixture reaches 160°. Pour into a large bowl. Add strawberries,
- lemon juice and remaining sugar; beat on high for 8 minutes or until
- light and fluffy.
- In another large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into
- strawberry mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with the
- reserved nut mixture. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
This delicious no bake strawberry dessert is perfect for the summer!