1. Combine the yeast packet, 1 Teaspoon sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Let sit until foamy.
2. Sift the flour,salt, and baking soda together.
3. Heat the buttermilk on low heat, add the 1/4 cup butter to the pan, plus the 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Cook and stir JUST until butter is melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat to cool slightly. Mixture should only be lukewarm.
4. Place the yeast and buttermilk in a large bowl, stir to combine. Add the flour to the bowl a half cup at a time while beating on low speed. The dough will be slightly sticky. Place dough on a floured surface, knead for 5 minutes, adding flour as you knead to make a slightly tacky dough. Grease a large bowl, turn the dough to coat, cover with a cloth and let rise until doubled in a warm draft free place.
5. Punch the dough down, form into balls. Place the dough balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in a warm draft free place.
6. Bake the rolls at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown, brush with melted butter.