Black Bean Soup
Make this delicious Black Bean Soup with dried cooked black beans or canned black beans. This is a hearty delicious soup.
- 10 slices bacon finely chopped
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 heaping Tablespoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 can reduced-sodium chicken broth 14 1/2-ounce
- 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cans black beans 15 1/2-ounce, cooked dried black beans can also be used ,about 8 cups, drained but not rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro wash, removed from the stems and chopped coarsley
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Sour cream for garnish
- Grated cheddar for garnish
Put the bacon into a large heavy metal sauce pan over medium heat. Cook about 4 minutes.
Place the onions in the pan, cook and stir until they start to turn translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. After it starts to boil, turn the heat down so the soup is simmering gently and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with sour cream or cheddar cheese and cilantro if desired.